Hofner Ignition Bass Control Knobs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ianbannister, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ianbannister

ianbannister

Hi, This is my first post here. I've had a trusty Precision for the past 45 years and decided to get a nice little violin bass in my dotage as its a lot lighter. I love it, wish I'd had one years ago. However, does anyone know how to remove the knobs on an Ignition bass? I want to replace them with the white type that I think look better. There's no grubscrew and I've pulled as hard as I dare so far without success. Any advice?:meh:

2. philtoler

philtoler

I have a CT and the knobs pull off quite easily. If there is no grub screw it must be the only way - pull harder!

3. bill reed

bill reed

on my LE MARQUIS beatles bass the controls just pull off but they were really hard to get free at first.

4. mongo2

mongo2

For stubborn pull off knobs, I use the tip of a teaspoon (with a piece of cardboard under the bowl of the spoon to protect the finish) to gently lever under the edge of the knob. I keep the spoon in one position and repeatedly rotate the knob a bit and push gently on the spoon to raise the knob evenly until it can be removed.

If you're too rough with it, the knob can crack or break.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. philtoler

philtoler

...won't matter quite so much if you are replacing them anyway

7. mongo2

mongo2

Ya never know...through some quirk of rock'n'roll fate those knobs may become the "teacups" of the future. :)

8. ianbannister

ianbannister

Thanks folks, pulling hard was the answer. I used Mongo2's suggestion and it worked a treat. They were on real tight and before my post I wasn't sure if they weren't locktite'd on or something stupid. And thanks again Mongo2, I'll keep the black ones 'just in case'

9. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Beware: the gold inserts on the teacups can fall out. Luckily, I found mine.

10. cazzappella

cazzappella

Thanx for the help, I'm trying to change the knobs as we speak and an having a tough time. Now I've got my new teacup knbs on.

11. music fun

music fun

I agree that the stock knobs may very likely become the cool ones years from now. In any case, I left mine as they are. There are about five other ways to tell it's an Ignition without the knobs, so what really is the point?