1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hofner issue -- cracked pickup frames

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AZJim, Nov 20, 2012.

1. AZJim

AZJim

Ok we all know that Hofners and basically all hollow body basses are more delicate than their solid body counterparts, but I wasn't expecting that to extend to the black plastic pickup frames cracking.

I have a CT, bought used, in perfect condition except when it arrived one frame was cracked. The crack is barely noticeable, not enough to kill the deal. Now almost a year later I notice the other pickup frame is cracked. I play it a lot, but I don't bang it around.

So I'm ordering new ones from North Coast Music, but...anyone else with this issue?

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Not here, and my HCT is 5+ yrs old.

TD

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The CT isn't actually totally hollow. They put a block inside it so the only true hollowbodies are the Icon/Ignition and the vintage ones. Not sure about vintage reissues.

4. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'm in Florida, and we have high humidity for most of the year. I've never had a Hofner, but I've been told that here in Florida, the Hofners need occational repairs due to our high humidity. I've wanted one, but have been hesitant because of that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Jaco said he his upright once exploded from the humidity. I don't understand how people can live down there.

7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I grew up in Nassau County (that's next to Queens for the rest of you), and I'd never move back. I'm not going to get into a debate as to which location is better to live, but Florida is far better For Me.

8. AZJim

AZJim

Thanks guys, well the humidity thing, I never thought plastic would/should be affected by humidity, but who knows. It may be the "opposite" problem, as I live in Arizona but I bought the bass from a gent in Florida. Wood obviously doesn't tolerate wild fluctuations in humidity...ha, maybe plastic too. Could be some sort of exotic, highly porous Asian plastic!