Hofner, MIJ Precision or Gibson

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afpdbobhaley, Nov 20, 2013.

1. afpdbobhaley

afpdbobhaley

I am struggling with trying to figure out which bass would be more appropriate for my needs. Presently, I have a Jay Turser Violin Bass with LaBella Hofner strings and a Squier Custom Vibe 50's bass. I love them both. I will say I am drawn constantly to the Turser for a variety of reasons: I love the richness of the sound. It has the McCartney connection and I like the short scale. Presently I am playing a good bit of alt country and classic rock. I am looking at a used Hofner CT or a used "real" Hofner as well as either a MIJ Precision and a Gibson Les Paul Bass or Midtown Bass.

My question is this. Is there a bass that will give me what I love about the Hofner and perhaps cover a wider tonal pallete? It will, in all likelihood, have to be used. Finally, I will want something that will be worth passing down to my children.

Thank you all for considering this rather long winded question.
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Epi Jack Casady? It's hollowbody and more versatile than the Hofner, but it sounds like you really want a vintage Hofner. I'd say get one of those.
  3. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

I play Classic Rock and Country hands down the Fender Precision is a Great choice.