Hofner-(not just Beatle Basses)-Group Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, May 6, 2012.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
  2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

I think a picture is appropriate to start Part 2.

[​IMG]
    TD
  3. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

subscribed...
  4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

My new Galaxy CT

[​IMG]
  5. ajsons

ajsons

I didn't get my Grover tuners from Stew-Mac, got them from amplifiedparts.com (ebay). They are 18:1 sta-tites also, but with butter bean pegheads. The shafts are larger than the HCT's but somehow the ferrules are smaller.

So I did the opposite. I used some JB Weld to fill up the gap (not a lot just, a couple of dabs around the body of the ferrules). While the glue was setting, I installed the tuners and was able to reuse the same screw holes.

Attached Files:

6. ajsons

ajsons

While I was at it, I swapped the tailpieces on my HCT and the Viola. The Viola had a German tailpiece I got from Allparts 16 years ago. The tape on the body of the basses mark the location of the bridges. Not necessarily the same places where they will be after reassembly, but they will be a good starting point for intonation setups.

Attached Files:

7. ajsons

ajsons

grovers installed.

I also sanded the binding on the neck to round off the edges a little bit, and make it easier on my hand. Not a lot, just enough to remove the sharp edges.

Attached Files:

8. ajsons

ajsons

Now a happy couple.

I bought my Viola in 1996, it still looks new except the frets are now showing some wear.

Attached Files:

9. ajsons

ajsons

Here's another modification that I did.
    The pick guard is too flimsy and bends even on a slight push by your finger. So I decided to put some support underneath. I found a blank guitar nut in my toolbox, cut it in half and used double-sided tape to mount them on the bottom end of the plastic frames for the pickups, under the pickguard. The blank nut is 1/8 x 1/4, perfect width for that tight space.

Attached Files:

10. ajsons

ajsons

Here's one of the nut pieces installed, center of picture (remember it is a lefty bass, so everything is reversed mirror fashion.

The pickguard now feels it is solidly mounted. There is still a little bit of bending in the middle, but for now it is good.
    I will add another piece to tape to the middle section later.

Attached Files:

11. ajsons

ajsons

It was a really productive Sunday.

finally, here's another shot of my HCT. Got it on ebay a few months ago... a little over $600 with case, in perfect condition.

The tailpiece is a good place for a headphone amp.

Attached Files:

12. music fun

music fun

To all you Hofner members: You may have seen me ranting about not being able to find a new Icon in the US. Well, member gtarzan made me aware of Norman's Rare Guitars in Tarzana, CA (interesting naming coincidence). Norman's fixed me up with one today.

Again I apologize if I took up valuable space on this thread with my personal buying issue. Thanks for your indulgence, and thanks also to the several other members who gave me tips and advice for finding an Icon.

Still, if not NO inventory, there are very few of these on shelves just now, so if you want one, get it today.

I hope to have the bass this weekend, and will send in a picture as soon as I can. Now I'm off to order those LaBellas.
  13. rfslick

rfslick

There is no more valuable purpose here than helping one of us find what we need, especially in finding a new Hofner! I'm happy that you found one! And I don't mind hearing about it here, especially with the recent word that supply is becoming scarce.
  14. rfslick

rfslick

When you receive your new bass, please let everyone know what the sticker on the back of the head stock says. I'm thinking that most likely, everything coming through now, is going to be from Indonesia, making it an Ignition rather than an Icon.
  15. Tahoe_Ed

Tahoe_Ed

16. Avalon

Avalon

This one was an early production test run. One of eight. No serial number and no Hofner logo on the upper bout. Also note, nothing written on the truss rod cover. It also has a much darker tobacco burst finish than the ones that came off the regular production line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. music fun

music fun

rfslick, thanks for the kind words. I felt a lot of support from the folks here as I was looking (and panicking).

Yes, I keep saying "Icon" although mine will be an Ignition. Before I gave my credit card number, I asked the fine fellow at Norman's to read the sticker on the headstock to me: "Made in Indonesia". That's the one I wanted, not because I know for sure, but from what I've read on the Hofner Web site, I infer that the better instruments are coming from Indonesia now. Any intel from the community here would be welcome.

Also, the one I'm getting has never been on the floor. They just ran out of floor models Saturday, so he had to get this one out of the storeroom. In May 2012, would anyone still have a brand-new China Icon in the box in the back room? These things are flying off the shelves.

I don't think this instrument says either Icon or Ignition anywhere on it, does it? All it says is HI Series, B Bass, I think. The way we tell them apart is the "Made in..." sticker, right?
  18. music fun

music fun

Ed,

Congratulations on the sequel thread. It's kind of like a stock split.

When I receive this new Ignition I've been squawking about, and send in a photo, you'll give me a number?

Thanks
  19. rfslick

rfslick

As I've come to understand it, HI BB SB, would be: Hofner Ignition Beatle Bass Sunburst.
    I'm thinking that, with the spread of dates here on the board, that, there are probably no new Icons available anywhere. I don't know when the production change over took place.
  20. rfslick

rfslick

Avalon
    The label w/model/serial may well be beneath the control plate, like the Violin or Club basses.