Hofner Shorty CT Bass coming to USA?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikecd1, May 7, 2012.

1. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Hi all. I've long wanted to try one of these basses, but have found the used prices ridiculous. The latest Hofner catalog and website show a contemporary series Shorty Bass in black. Looks cool. Can't find anyone in USA selling them yet, but see them for sale in the UK. Anyone have any info on when / if they'll be available stateside???
  2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Word is they won't be available for delivery until July-August. Once the Hofner distribution channel is finally resolved in the USA you'll see the dealers starting to advertise that they're accepting orders for them.

TD
  3. music fun

music fun

At what price, I wonder? Why would Hofner completely deplete the supply chain unless they intend to bump up the price?
  4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Only time will tell if that's their intention, but I don't think so.

TD
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mikecd1

It looks like the shorty will have the same pickup as the 185 and what looks like a Schaller bridge. If the build quality is on a level with my CT Club bass it should be very playable.
  7. music fun

music fun

Why not look at (member) Kinetic Shadow's all-black Contemporary? It's beautiful and the price is outstanding.
  8. mikecd1

Thanks, but I have an insanely cool contemporary myself and like where you're coming from. Mine's an HCT-500/2 that I love passionately and play an awful lot and it works well in all styles. It is truly one of the best sounding basses I've ever played so I really don't need another and am looking for the convenience and short scale that a shorty offers. Seems like it would be easy to take to jams, rehearsals and on trips where you might not want to take your main axe.
  9. mikecd1

Last I was able to find out is that they're getting them in August over in England and hopefully USA will follow shortly after that. If anyone gets a sighting keep us posted!
  10. Rocker949

Rocker949

Anyone play one of these yet? I'd really like to read a review if possible.
  11. mikecd1

Well, I'll be writing that review soon. I just pulled the trigger on a Hofner Shorty Bass on Ebay for $200 including a gigbag and free shipping. At this price, I'm already impressed! There 's a couple left, here's the link. Will post photos and perhaps a sound clip if possible. It also shows available for ordering on all the major retailers including guitar center, zzounds, american musical supply, same day music etc., but none of those show in stock. Only the Ebay which showed a quantity of 4 with two already sold. We'll see how this develops. With a 15 percent coupon, this bass might look even better for 170 with all the sales on.

[URL="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5713.m570.l1313&_nkw=hofner shorty bass&_sacat=0&_from=R40"