1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hofner violin with P Bass pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JD Supernatural, Feb 16, 2014.

1. JD Supernatural

JD Supernatural

Just wondering what you guys think, I have this idea to put a P pickup on my spare Hofner Icon Bass, has anyone ever done this or can anyone visualise how it may sound ?

I have a German one I use a lot, I would do this to my spare bass just to get a variance in sound from my German one.
  2. FreeBassJunky

FreeBassJunky

I could see doing this to a Rogue or a Douglas. To each his own. But why butcher a Hofner?!
  3. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Why not? what's so precious about a Hofner?
  4. j5eugene

j5eugene

German one? Price at least.. I guess )
  5. mcarp555

mcarp555

The Icon is made in Indonesia, I believe, so what the heck.
  6. Martin Beer

Martin Beer

Isn't the string spacing narrow on a Hofner? You might run into problems getting the pickup aligned so that it looks neat, though it may work OK without the poles lined up. If your Hofner is fully hollow, you'll struggle to find anything to screw the P-pickup into, as they're designed to mount into a solid body.
  7. JD Supernatural

JD Supernatural

as I said in my op its an Icon, cheap Asian model, made in China, cost me $200
  8. JD Supernatural

JD Supernatural

Im not worried about it looking neat

Im thinking I could make a small block of wood to seat the pickup on, like a saddle arrangment
  9. gary m

gary m

If you're concerned about polepiece alignment, try the DiMarzio Split P which has blade magnets in it.

To echo the sentiment above, what will you fasten the pickup to if the body is indeed hollow? Maybe just float it on the top and construct a custom surround for it?