1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hohner 6 String Bass Malfunction

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dylan617, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Dylan617

Dylan617

Hey guys, first post on here so bear with me if I break any rules... I've had a Hohner 6 String for a few years now and I recently moved so it sat unplayed for about a year. I recently pulled it out and plugged it in to discover that only the B E and A strings are registering on my amp, the D string is barely audible and the G and C just plain can't be heard. Now I know that this model has one of those battery operated active and passive switches and the battery is very dead. Could the dead battery be what's causing the problem? I really hope it is the battery and not wiring that is shot... Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

You didn't store the guitar with the bass side down, treble side up did you? Fatal mistake. Could be an expensive repair.

J/K. Swap the battery out. I have a Hohner Bass VI. Nicely built bass with weak electronics.
  3. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

I have 2 of these-try the battery but to be honest they are awesome basses but the electronics were always weak in these.
  4. Dylan617

Dylan617

Jesus you scared me there haha.... I was thinking it was just the battery but wanted a second opinion, thanks Charlie
  5. JustForSport

JustForSport

If a new battery doesn't fix it, check p/u height (check it anyway).
    The BBass VI with soapbar pups have 'P' coil layout inside-
    use a piece of cutoff bass string or small screwdriver to verify
    magnet layout. Could also be a bad coil on treble side.
    BTW- from both pups?
    The pawnshop score I got had a bad pre, so I replaced with an EMG BQS, keeping the bypass switch.
    Sounds great, now.