1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hohner Acoustic Bass HAB-40N

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fitzy73, Jul 2, 2009.

1. fitzy73

fitzy73

Hi ,does anyone else have one of these hohner basses ,if so what do you think of them & how do you intonation a acoustic bass cheers fitzy73

Attached Files:

2. BassMagilla

BassMagilla

Hello

I realize I am replying to a very old post but here is what I know.

I just bought a Hohner HAB 40N Bass with the phosphor bronze strings and I am very pleased with it. I do have to correct a crackling while it is plugged in to any amp or using any cable, hoping it is just the 1/4 jack gone bad.

This is my first acoustic bass and I am very pleased with it and the crackling is not first on the repair list as I bought it for acoustic use.

So on to the question on intonation.
    Looking at the bridge on mine I see there are different saddles or at least the saddles are in different positions for each string. Each of the four saddle inserts is at a different angle. I have not done so yet... but removing the string will tell the story of the saddle insert perhaps allowing it to be turned 90º, 180º or 270º thus allowing a different height.

Mine is right on from the nut to the saddle inserts and perhaps it is just your preference or is it really 'out'

That's my input
  3. Ed_in_NE_Ohio

Ed_in_NE_Ohio

Anyone have any comments or opinions about these?

This is the only sub-$500 acoustic/electric bass I can find that has a solid top. Also, only a few vendors seem to have them...

Wondering if I'd be better off going with one of these, or just going "low-end used" for a first venture into "acoustic bass land"?

My classic rock cover band is putting together an acoustic set-list for the Farmer's Market season. We'll be: 2 acoustic guitars, electric piano/percussion, and me. Or should I just play my Fender Jazz and forget about the acoustic?
  4. LyleRyan

LyleRyan Supporting Member

I've got a Hohner EAB65, which is probably the same but with older preamp.

The thing I use it for is to take along a light and inexpensive Bass when traveling. Something I can use for practice without an amp, but could plug in if needed.

For playing with other people, you'll need an amp. Maybe a living room practice with 1 or 2 acoustic Guitars will work, but you'll only be able to hear your note, not fill in any bottom.

Still, a useful option.

...Lyle
  5. Robert Spencer

Robert Spencer

I have a Hohner HAB 40 & love it. Only mods are black tapewound strings and the installation of a JJB Electronics passive pickup ( www.jjb-electronics.com ) for an even more woody sound. Plays & sounds very nice. I had another Hohner acoustic bass ( the one with the triangular sound hole) but gave it to a friend when arthritic hands prevented me from playing a long scale bass. The 32" HAB 40 is fine though.
    Maybe we should have a Hohner Bass Club? Take care. Bob
  6. RandomPS

RandomPS

I have one of these, that I've just dug out of the closet after a long spell, but I've been having trouble finding strings. I know it should get the "short" strings, but even so, I've gone through a few sets that, even though are labelled for 32", are too long (and even cutting the strings down, E string would be too thick to fit through the tuning post). The second part to this is string diameter - what size strings would you suggest (I've tried strings that were too thick to fit the bridge holes). Thanks for any suggestions.