1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hohner B Bass 6 String Electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emjei, Aug 12, 2013.

1. emjei

emjei

Hi...I have a Hohner B Bass 6 String that I want to upgrade its electronics

I measured the Humbucker pick ups and they are 4.5 inches long and 2 inches wide

Any suggestion on Electronics Upgrde ?? Pick up, Pre Amp combination ??

[​IMG]
  2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

They look like they should be 4.5″×1.5″ (not 2.0″), the size of a standard EMG-45 pickup shell. I looked your bass up and the first site states they should be of that size. Could you please double-check?

If they really are standard EMG-45 pickups, there are many EMG pickups that can fit in there, as well as many third-party winders who can make pickups in that format such as Bartolini, SGD and Nordstrand, to name a few.
  3. emjei

emjei

Thanks for the input

The size is 4 inches by 1.5 inches

The EMG folks recomended 40DC and a 40J pickup with a BQC control.

He mentioned that the set up will give the Bass good low end with balanced sounding pickups and a bass and treble stacked control.

Never though about mixing Pick ups ...

And question is EMG vs Bartolini vs Norstrand....uffff desicions desicions
  4. JustForSport

JustForSport

pups are 4 1/8" x 1 1/2"-
    EMG 40's will fit.
    I replaced pre with an Aguilar OBP3 and it provides a lot of versatility.
    pups are split ('P' shaped) inside and IMO give good definition,
    just need a better EQ.
    I set mine up as vol/vol/mid/stacked bass/treble and kept EQ bypass switch.

Attached Files:

5. emjei

emjei

JustforFun.....you have to give me your number...haha

You changed the bridge too .... niceeee
  6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Yeah, bridge was same as on older maple Ibanez SR506 (made in same Cort factory, Korea) and was starting to lift/bend between mounting screws and ball end anchor.
    I replaced the Ibanez bridge first (with same single-string bridges) and tone was lots cleaner without the sympathetic vibrations being transfered, so I did the same with the Hohner.
    BTW- that Ibanez also has same-sized ('P' inside) soapbars: was going to put the OBP3 in that, but the Hohner needed it more.
    I've gotten to like the Ibanez EQ/ pup combo well enough that I'll leave it that way for a while.
    Necks are same profile and are w/in 0.2lb of each other so easy to switch.
    Ibanez in bolt-on, tho.
  7. JustForSport

JustForSport

BTW, my B-Bass VI was a pawn shop purchase, needed some work, no sound out (EQ was messed), but I like it now,
    got about half into it of what it was new, it's in good shape, and I think it sounds great.
    and 10.2 lb for a sixer isn't bad.
  8. emjei

emjei

Do you know if the Hohner has P pickups soap bar on top ??

You kept the OEM pickups right ?
  9. emjei

emjei

I really like my B Bass....I lighweight, ThruNeck and sounds Low B ( propably the wood used )

Im just trying to make it sound more versatile.......Is not broken or anything

Friend told me to go Bartolini ....lets see
  10. JustForSport

JustForSport

AFAIK pups are original, and same constuction as in my Ibby SR506-:
    both are: (---__), not dual coils like (======).
    If you use a piece of cutoff bass string or small screwdriver to see where it is attracted to the magnets, then you'll know how yours are made.
    The 'P' split pups are humbucking, but narrow aperture, more like single-coils than dual-coils. Quad coils are like this, but with 2 'P's, regular and reversed.
    Seems to me that the split pups have more definition/ fundamentals than dual-coils- like them for that.
  11. JustForSport

JustForSport

Most Barts are 'darker' from most that I've read...
    I like the clean tones and highs avail in addition to the lows that these splits deliver.
    Could be that the Aguilar OBP3 just really brings out what is already available- good combo,
    and complements the maple constuction.
    Seems most like Barts better with mahogany, wenge, olganvol.
    I/ve got some Barts, but they won't be going in these maple basses.
    FWIW, EMG DC40's (dual-coils) are in a Godin BG5 (maple/maple) and sound great in that.
  12. emjei

emjei

Great info provided...Thanks !!!