Hohner B-Bass V bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by toprekoms, Feb 4, 2014.

1. toprekoms

toprekoms Supporting Member

Hi All,
    Just picked up a beautiful Hohner B-bass V in gloss black. Only problem is that the bridge has come away from the body about 1/8" where it transitions from the thinner metal to the thickest where the strings mount. According to an old thread here, it is apparently quite common. I noticed most people replaced it with a Schaller roller bridge. Are any of the screw holes re-usable so I can mount it myself? i can drill any extras if required.
    Thanks for your assistance.
    Peace
  2. pfox14

pfox14

Pix would help a lot.
  3. toprekoms

I hope these help. Screw center spacing from outside screw to outside screw is 76mm. From left to right, screw hole spacing is 15mm, 15mm, 15mm, 15mm, 13mm.
    Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

4. pfox14

pfox14

Looks like the screws are stripped and no longer holding the bridge down completely. Easiest fix is to remove the bridge and glue toothpicks into the holes in the body with Titebond. Let that dry and then snap off the protruding pieces so they're flush with the top. Screw it back down and they should hold much better.
  5. JustForSport

JustForSport

The B Bass VI and Older Ibanez SR506 had the same bridge (but 6-string) and were made in the same Cort factory- had the same problems. Seems that it takes a while to develop, and if you can find one from a SR505 (from older maple body)(late '90's) that hasn't bent, it should be a direct replacement. There may also be a difference in metal composition in different runs, and some don't bend. I've seen straight ones.
    Maybe avail from Ibanez parts, also- nothing avail from Hohner, that I've found.
    I just replaced mine with individual string bridges.

Attached Files:

6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Might find one here, also- browse around:
    http://www.drumsetc.com/search/node/ibanez bass bridge
    I can't hepl with the model #, tho, and Ibanez catalog didn't give it.
    Does it look like 'Ibanez EB75 Bass Bridge 2BB1EB75B'?
    Those are avail in black, gold, and chrome.
    Good luck...
  7. toprekoms

Cool. I'll check out the SR505. The EB75 looks exactly like it. Do you think all of the holes will line up?
    I was sure hoping I could do this myself.
    Thanks JSF!
  8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Not 'sure' about the holes, but with these basses made in the same factory, and not 'branded' bridges, they are probably from the same source manufacturer and used on both Ibanez and Hohner models.
    The 6-string bridges from the SR506 and B-Bass VI are identical except for color.
    Even the pickups are the same on the 6-ers.
    - best I can offer.
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'd look at it really carefully - if the problem is the screws pulling loose, then the toothpicks and white glue repair will be quite adequate.

If the bridge is actually bending, then replacement would become the best option.
  10. JustForSport

JustForSport

^^ agreed-
    They usually (if they're going to) bend up just past the screws, like the photo on the left seems to show. From that photo, it looks like the bridge is down tight at the screw holes.