Hohner Basses on Ebay, any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kenbuntu, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

2. Swerve

Swerve

A friend of mine has a hohner acoustic electric bass and I enjoy playing it. However, I've never played anything else by them. I would be cautious when buying a bass that you've never played or heard of, you could end up hating it. I'll only buy a bass without playing it if its either A. So cheap it doesn't matter (SX) or B. It is too good of deal to pass up.
  3. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

yeah thats true. That natural Hohner reminds me of the older Ibanez SR's. Looks good.
    Oh, apparently they use Hipshot tuners.
  4. RMay

RMay

I owned a Hohner BBass 4 in the early 1990s. These are mid-level basses, lightweight, all maple neck-through construction. Mine had the licensed by Steinberger bridge with the D-tuner. IMO, Hohner basses would be a great if the buyers upgraded the thin-sounding EMG Select electronics - pickups and pre amp + dress the frets.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

I have a Hohner B Bass V, with a violin (red) transparent finish on quilted maple. I've had it for two years. I got it for about the same price that they are currently going for. Nice construction, finish, (my frets were fine) and hardware.

One of the complaints on HC reviews is that the string spacing (16mm) was too tight. I found that to be true for me, so I first put a Schaller bridge on it that allowed for 17mm spacing. I liked 17mm better, but it still lacked the sustain I imagined it should have. I had the plastic nut replaced with bone, HUGE improvement in overall tone and sustain.

The EMG selects were passible through the two band active EQ, but I hate the single coil hum when only using one pu, so I left the EQ stock, but installed some used EMG active pups. Much more to my taste.

That's what it took for me to really like this bass a lot. With the changes it still was less than $600. Very comfortable neck. I just put on some D'addario's and I prefer their tension over the DR's I had on originally. The B string is less fwoppy.

This was my first time playing a 5 stringer, my gateway bass. It is definitely a worthwhile deal, especially if you can return one that you don't like. Good luck.

James
  7. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Looks great IMO for a cheap entry into trying a 6er.

If you buy it and hate it, I'm sure it still sells for $300+ used on eBay or in the TB classifieds. Worst case, lose $50-100 on a bass. Not too bad.

If I didn't just pick up a used MTD KZ6 as a backup to my Roscoe 6er, I would have bought one just now.
  8. milothefultz

milothefultz

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets
    I was at a blues festival recently and somebody had one of these and it sounded totally fantastic. I don't know if he replaced any parts, but it had great linear response up and down the fretboard.
  9. DropDeadFred

DropDeadFred

These seem to be very nice basses! A local shop has one, and I have played it many times. If it wasn't $750 it would be mine! But, I think that is a bit steep right now. However, it appears to be very well made and the sound is top notch especially at $750. I'd have to consider it a steal at $380, shipped. Just make sure these are not seconds. This guy usually sells 2nds, but look to be in nice shape.
  10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

They're excellent bang for the buck basses. They play well and sound decent straight up. You might want to upgrade the pickups for serious play, but these basses are very hard to beat for the money.
  11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Hohner has really stepped up the quality of their asian production.
  12. DropDeadFred

DropDeadFred

[​IMG]

I guess our estimation of these basses are pretty good. I've heard this guy a time or two. Great tone, Great player. IMHO.
  13. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr. Supporting Member

14. jbo

jbo

what are the neck profiles like on these basses? I read on a different thread that they were similar to a Warwick, is that true?
  15. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Bob, we need some pics of that beast.
  16. bassopotamus102

bassopotamus102

In a word, YES!:hyper:

I received my B Bass VI Q two weeks ago. other than some minor electronics issues (wire broke loose from pot, capacitor touching the preamp control) I absolutely love this bass.

I have the action lower on this bass than i have ever had on any of my other basses. I play in the Worship band at church and this bass simply does the trick.

I love the string spacing, I love the sound. hell, i just love the bass. it is the Black Cherry burst on Quilt. it is a nice looking bass as well.

if you are thinking of buying one from Tim, i highly recommend it.

Peace,

Dave
  17. jbo

jbo

what is the string spacing again?
  18. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

16mm, read post #5 above
  19. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

I've had two Hohner Pro-Series basses - which were(!) made, by the way, by Cort in the Korea factory which had pretty good QC. Since Cort seems to have closed the Korean factories, I don't know where that leaves this brand.

My first was a Hohner JJ Pro 4 string on which I replaced the neck with a Mighty Mite Fretless:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the quality of the maple body is pretty good....

I parted with that and currently use a Hohner Pro B Bass V as my primary instrument.

This, as has been noted above, has narrow string-spacing and fretboard. As I have a smallish hand and played guitar for many years, I do not find this a problem - in fact I find it ideal as I have problems with wide fretboards.

Since taking the pics beow, I have replaced the EMG Selects with Joe Bardens and the pre with a John East U-Retro.

Works for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Bbasses are very nice. A pickup upgrade is a good idea though. The rest is great especially the preamp.
  21. ronin614

ronin614

I currently own a Hohner Jack bass (21 yrs old and built like a tank and still works fine) and have owned another Jack and one of their B2AV headless basses that I regret selling. (May actually buy another one this week.) The only thing that keeps me from buying a BBass is that they don't make them lefty. (the B2AV comes in lefty and the Jack is a fullbody headless so it only looks slightly goofy flipped.) I think Hohner basses are extremely underrated!!!!! I have NEVER had a problem w/any that I've owned. Well made, solid instruments that don't get the respect that they deserve. IMO