Hohner jazz bass copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MethodsofDance, Dec 22, 2013.

1. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

I've been looking at a fretless Hohner jazz bass on ebay. I think its called a "b bass" or something. The headstock has an unusual "spear tip" look to it. Appears to have an ebanol fretboard. Can anyone tell me anything about the sound and quality of these? There is a little video on youtube of a guy playing one that sounded good...I'm quite interested in this instrument. Thanks!
  2. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Here's a picture of one

[​IMG]
  3. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Bump! I have another shot at grabbing this bass. I think I'm sold enough on it already but any info to back up my interest would be very appreciated!
  4. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ack

ack Supporting Member

I have a B-Bass IV Jazz, but it's not the Jazz style copy.
    It's Korean built and has active EMG Select pickups in it, and it's a decent Jazz bass.
    The Selects are not my cup of tea, but I can get what I want out of the bass by using an MXR DI+ to add some color.
    It's lightweight and comfortable and has a Steinberger bridge D-tuner, which is great.
    Build quality is fine - no flaws detected.

[​IMG]

I know it's not what you're looking at, but it's a Hohner Jazz...
    Good luck.
  7. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Thanks for the input! I think the one I'm looking at has to be passive, possibly Duncan p/ups....
  8. JustForSport

JustForSport

'ack'-
    Way Nice!
  9. johnson79

johnson79

I think they got decent reviews in bass player magazine back in the day. Never played one though.
  10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I had a Hohner P-bass copy. It's actually pretty good, better than any Squier P-bass I've played. It was a Hohner Pro Bass if I remember correctly.
    I gave it to a kid as a first bass, kind of regretting it now. lol..
    I imagine the jazz is of similar quality meaning, pretty good.
  11. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Thanks for the replies so far guys! I'm entering into a full on desire to own a Jazz, and hopefully if this is near enough to a Fender in specs and quality, it'll be a good instrument for a fraction of the price of a new MIM Jazz. Not to mention a good platform for modding, depending on how good the sound is I might be looking to throw some UltraJazz or Model J p/ups in there as a lesson in p/up installation.
  12. Ken R

Ken R

Hohner JJ bass
    I like it. It plays well sounds good active. The tone controls do nothing when set to passive. Smooth neck. Worth the $150 I paid for it. I'd buy it again.
    YMMV

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Cheers, nice looking bass too. I was just in my nearest music shop trying out the Squier VM fretless J (impressive tbh, my friend used to have one and I couldn't stand it cause it was set up so poorly but the one in the shop was very nice), and seemed to have no problem adjusting on the spot from the SDGR neck that I'm so used to. If the Hohner is at least on par with that it'll be just as good for half the retail cost of the VM.
  14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Had one just like that back in the mid 90's.. Great bass!
  15. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Well, I just scored it. Looking forward to seeing how it works out!