1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Holding a pick with 3 fingers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Typstor, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Typstor

Typstor

Hello all,
    I play with a pick frequently and I noticed that it's more comfortable for me to hold it with 3 fingers(index, thumb, middle).
    Can it create any technique issues (like reduced speed or bad tone) or any health issues?
    Thanks

2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

When I use a pick on bass, I use very thick picks - ~2.5 to 3.5 mm. I often use thumb, index, middle. That might slow you down at first, but the trade-off is increased stability to maintain tempo. I don't see how "bad tone" would result from an extra finger on the pick and as far as injury goes, anything can result in injury. But spreading the load of an action over three fingers rather than two would suggest to me that any physical wear and tear is now distributed more evenly, which tends to be a good thing. Since the index and middle finger share common attributes of the hand (as do the ring and pinky), I'd say you're probably on a good path. Be aware of pain and adjust accordingly.

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

No health issues, I did it for about 22 years exclusively and had to trouble. I didnt even realize I was using 3 to be honest, it just happened naturally. I use my fingers 90% of the time now but still use a pick the other 9% and can do just about everything I can with fingers.

4. nashman

nashman

I hate to ask what you use the other 1% ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

My ebow.

:D

I meant thumb!

7. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

If it feels comfortable and natural, do it. I usually use thumb, index, and middle when using a Big Stubbie 2mm Triangle pick.

8. dls59

dls59

The three-finger thing is sort of how Squire holds his picks, isn't it?

9. Jensby design

Jensby design

I see no reason to limit yourself to one technique.
    I usually use three but not always, their are times with thumb index has the mojo I'm looking for (like palm muting).
    Thumb middle is rarely used but has its place (harmonics).

Just because I use a pick in one part of a song doesn't mean I will use a pick for the whole song.
    I think we should all practice different techniques from time to time.
    You never know when tucking that pick up under your pinky and slapping that bass senseless is going to get you a gig but if you do not have that trick up your sleeve [​IMG] how will you use it [​IMG]

10. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Disclosures:
    Retrovibe Artist rota