Holding onto gear you dont play

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by KablesP, Dec 27, 2013.

1. KablesP

KablesP

How many of you have gear that you are holding onto because it is sentimental or its valuable?

I have come to realize that I would rather put my money towards gear I will constantly use than something I just want to have just to have it. I have sold a lot of stuff throughout the last few years and honestly don't regret selling anything I sold and haven't even looked into replacing any of it (sold many pedals and an amp for a Line 6 M13 and an NI Maschine)

Now, long story short, a few years ago I got a steal on an old Roland Chorus Echo RE-301. It is an awesome unit, however, it really colors my tone and kind of takes some bite away because you don't want to overdrive the preamp in the echo. It's also pretty big and heavy (nearly the size of a smaller head) and although it hasn't cost me much more money to use it, it is similar to a tube amp in that it needs upkeep. It has been reliable but it's not something I like to gig with anymore.

For some reason, I don't want to sell it, although I could use a bass much more. Hmm...

Anyone else get like this over gear?

2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Yup. I have my first two basses. I don't touch either one, but they're still at home for some reason...

3. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Actually, I've got like 35 years worth of gear that I can't seem to get rid of. :help:

Seriously, over the years, I have sold off (literally) truckloads of PA gear and a few physically larger amps, but I still have a ton of stuff that I haven't used for years, and it needs to go.

4. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I've got a far more devious problem. I've got gear laying around that served me well for a time, but is now obsolete and pretty much devoid of monetary value. So, since I could only sell it for next to nothing, I keep it laying around thinking that I may find a use for it someday...

It's quite pathetic, really...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Guilty as charged....

Most of the stuff sitting around not being used is definitely NOT increasing in value, just gotta get motivated and organized to get it on down the road. Let me know if you figure it out....I need to do the same.

7. antonspon

antonspon

I regret every amp I've ever sold and, except for the rubbish guitars I began with in the 70's, all the instruments I've sold: so now it would take a serious crisis for me to even think of letting anything go (I'd sell the house first and shelter under my gear)!

Let's see...I have a baglama I rarely play, a Strat I built myself in the 80's (sentimental value, but also a great guitar...but rarely played), an old Ibanez classical that sounds lovely but sits in its case and a 60's Framus electric 12 that needs a bit of work (maybe one day...). Also a '61 Gibson EB3 that is more of an investment than a useful instrument. My other basses and amps all get used regularly, so they're not negotiable!

8. DanBass

DanBass Supporting Member

Despite the lack in monetary value, maybe their true value would be discovered in donating some of these items to local organizations that can use them in therapy, musoic appreciation or other community-type things. I've done that with some older acoustics and other music related items - it's a pretty cool feeling - and once I attended a community theater presentation and saw some of my stuff being put to good use!

Better than taking up space and giving the wife ammo to yell about "crap strewn all over the house..."

yeah, yeah, yeah.... SHADDDAPPP!! :spit:

lol :D

9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I have stuff I haven't sold, mostly because storing it is easier than selling it. If I didn't have storage, there would be more of a push to get rid of a couple big cabinets. As it is, they are spares. That's my excuse. Everyone needs spares. Thinking about it as an investment would make me an even bigger idiot than I already am, so I try to avoid that.

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I have lots of collectable basses that I haven't played in years. I keep them on wall hangers and I like to look at them. I'll never sell them.

11. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I have plenty of stuff I'm not using and haven't used in at least 2 years. But, I'm keeping it because I know I'm going to use it again at some point.

12. pfox14

pfox14

I have a lot of junky crap laying around that is frankly un-sellable or definitely not worth my time dealing with. It will probably still be here when I die.

13. butchblack

butchblack Supporting Member

I seldom play my back up bass or use my back up amp and cab, but both are back ups and I play out often enough to want to have back up gear accessible. Other then that the only thing I don't use and could sell is a volume pedal, and it's not worth the hassle of going through CL for that.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Not me. It's only gear.

I'm holding gear only because the local market is so dead I can't move it and selling online presents some problems for which I haven't established a workaround (in addition to the usual myriad problems for which nobody seems to have established a workaround :rolleyes:).

15. spade2you

spade2you

IDK, the type(s) of music I play usually dictates which bass, basses, or even guitars I might use. I was using my CB fretless 7 90% of the time and fretted 6 10% of the time in my last band.

Now that I have been replaced, I plan on coming back playing guitar and bass, perhaps more 4 string since I had spent so much time on 6-7 string.

16. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Part of my portfolio has always been wood. Still have the 65 J I bought when I was a kid.

17. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

I have absolutely stupid amounts of stuff laying around: basses, guitars, necks, bodies, pickups, parts, amps, pedals. Most of which I never use. I'm really good at getting rid of other stuff in my life, but when it's bass or guitar-related stuff, I am the worst packrat/hoarder on the planet.

18. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Tell me about it! I have a 43-space rack in my office filled with MIDI modules and tape decks that would make any professional recording studio proud...if this were 1991. The MIDI stuff still makes cool sounds, but I can get almost equally cool sounds from softsynths on my laptop; the tape machines are total anachronisms -- which is a fancy word for "boat anchors"; and did I mention they're all in a freakin' 43-space rack? In my office?!?! Wifey iz gonna kill me!

But it's pennies on the dollar for this crap. :(

19. Bassnoise

Bassnoise

Had saved everything for years now I'm starting to sell off stuff tho

I still have my first couple basses

20. Holdsg

Holdsg If its got strings, and sings, I'm interested Supporting Member

with me, if its not getting used, its for sale. even some of the stuff I use regularly could be for sale at any point. I guess the exception would be my piano. that's about where I draw the line.

21. Bassnoise

Bassnoise

Jealous of the guy with tape decks