HOLLOW BODY BASS RECOMMENDATIONS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unclebass, Nov 18, 2013.

1. unclebass

unclebass

I want my next bass to be something different than my others. I have 2 jazz basses, a 4 and a 5 string. I am entertaining the possibility of a beatles bass or something in the hollow body family. I like the new Fender Starcaster bass in the natural finish, but would like something in a lower price range that is worth owning. It will need to be comfortable to play sitting down, which I do 95% of the time. It can be either a 4 or 5 string. I really like a jazz bass neck, so anything that has a shallow neck is a definite plus. An offbrand doesn't bother me at all, as long as it is a good player and sounds great. I will likely put tapewounds on it as I am looking for more of a thuddy sound.
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The Hofner Icon violin bass is great. It weighs nothing and sounds awesome.
  3. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High Supporting Member

I like a number of hollow bodies. The one I'm lusting after right now is a Hofner Club Bass.

I also like the Gibson ES335 bass, and the Midtown, both rather costly at about $2200.00 and 1300.00 respectively.
    The Guild Starfire, at about $1000.00 and Fender's Starcaster and Coronado basses are priced nicely, too at about $750.00.

Also Epiphone make a couple of reasonably priced hollows.
  4. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Supporting Member

I have never played one, but the Spectorcore hollow body has always intrigued me. They can be had for around $500 with EMG-HZs loaded in.
  5. bassbenj

bassbenj

I have a Carvin fretless AC50. I can't recommend it enough. Light as a feather. Usual impeccable Carvin workmanship. Comes with nylon tape-wound strings that sound/play like a dream (cheap from Carvin too!) If you want upright thump a little foam under the strings at the bridge gives it to you in spades!

It's semi-hollowbody with sound hole that gives it the different "trad" look you (and I) want.

The BEST thing about it that many people buying ABGs don't think about until it's too late is that the Carvin is NOT prone to easy acoustic feedback like the usual ABG. Yes, you cannot play it unplugged. But feedback-wise it does NOT work any different from your solid body basses. I can't recommend it enough.

I have only ONE gripe with it. And that is that it only has a piezo pickup which tends to be rather "percussive". It's not that bad or anything, but I really wish at times I had the tone of a magnetic neck pickup to dial in so I could dial back to a more solid body tone if I want to. I may mod it for that one of these days. That is a pretty serious electronic mod, though.
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Since I own one, my favorite hollow body bass is the Godin Acoustiabass. The workmanship and materials used on those basses is first ratel. You can often find one of the original ones fretted or fretted for a very reasonable price. The necks are very slim and patterned after a Jazz Bass. They play very comfortably sitting down or standing up because the instrument is light. You can get them to "thud" by changing the EQ. The advantage of buying one of the newer ones is that they offer a magnetic pickup with the piezo. They have a beautiful tone palate. Remarkably, they can get very close to a Hoffner.

Ric

Attached Files:

7. electracoyote

electracoyote

I'm a fan of the Eastwood Classic IV. I have one in orange, one in white, have gigged them many times, sweet basses.

And I have a vintage Fender Coronado that is quite nice.

Still hankerin' for a Hagstrom Concord, just haven't come across "the one" yet.

Gibson Midtowns and the re-release Fender Starcasters look amazing.
  8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

As a kid I tried out, the Gibson EB 2, the Hoffner Beatle, Guild Starfire, Gretch White Falcon Bass, Ernie Ball Earthwood, and Ovation Hollow Body Bass.
    Of all those basses, I really liked the Starfire the best.

Many of the newer hollow bodies from Warwick, Eastwood, and even the Tacoma, (which is a beautiful instrument) have oversized bodies that make them difficult to play. Just my take, I'd rather have an instrument that's easier to get around on.

Ric
  9. walldaja

walldaja

You should try an Ibanez AFG-200, it's half the price of the Starcaster or Coronado. Nice tone and good fit and finish.
  10. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

How about a Gretsch 6072? Light, a thin J style neck, hollow, but doesn't howl at high volume.
    [​IMG]
  11. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Mine too. As much as I think I should try something "better", it's hard to imagine how it could be on any level, sound, feel, or the beautiful black cherry finish.
  12. OneAri

OneAri

How about a Hofner CT Verythin, guess that covers the hollowbody look with the same pickups as the equivalent Beatles Bass?

That said I'd at least fit a pickguard as it looks a title bare with the small hardware and large (ish) body
  13. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

DPINTO BELVEDERE. mine is a deluxe they have standards too .. YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG here :bassist:

Attached Files:

• red.jpg
      red.jpg
      File size:
      9.5 KB
      Views:
  14. themacinator

themacinator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Epiphone Jack Casady model
  15. pco423

pco423 Supporting Member

Ibanez afb200. Fully hollow. Floating bridge that plays great and intonates almost perfectly. I love mine. The 2013 has ,imo, better headstock graphics.
  16. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

If you've got a couple grand to spend, bass labs sells fully hollow, including neck, basses in a lot of different configurations.
  17. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

If you come across an OLD Guild Starfire from the 60's, don't let it get away.

On another note, I played a late 60's fender Coronado 2, recently. Played like BUTTER...really... But I disliked the tone from the weird electronics they put in that thing.
  18. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

I currently have several hollowbody basses; a Gretsch Broadkaster (probably more than you want to spend); 2 violin basses (a Rogue and a Starfire- probably less than you want to spend); an old Epiphone EA-260; and 2 Danelectro DCs, which are technically semihollow. My Rogue is an older Korean one; very well made, beautiful wood, and has the sound you say you're looking for; I can't speak for newer ones, though. The Danos will also give you that thump, with the right strings; one of mine has nickel flats on it, and sounds remarkably like an upright. I would say give a Dano a try; especially a Longhorn. Gretsch makes some very nice basses, much less expensive than a Broadkaster; you might try them. 'Course, Hofners are nice, too... Out of all of mine, the Epi is actually the one I like best. They're not easy to find, though. It does thump with the best of them, if you want it to.
  19. wizerd

wizerd

Epiphone Jack Casady. Growls and thumps depending on the varitone.
    Can be a little neck heavy and you have to like black mist or gold. Great bass and wont break the bank.
  20. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Ibanez Artcore.