Hollow Body Trend???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaperbackRyder, Feb 16, 2013.

1. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder

2. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder

also...

Attached Files:

3. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder

So Guild Gretsch and Gibson (the 3G's), are all now offering these new models. I still dig my JCasady, but since trying the now-discontinued Gibson LP Jr DC bass and loving it, that deep, rich tone is calling me...so:

Gibson Midtown is appealing. Same as the LP DC; Pups, mahogany, but a long scale.
    Guild has to also be a strong contended by virtue of the bi-sonic.
    Gretsch E;ectrmatic is kinda meh IMO (althought the Thunderjet rocks)

Has anyone tried any/all three?

=JR=
  4. fesem

fesem Supporting Member

This has also caught my attention. Hofner Verythin CT

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

It's the hipsters.
  7. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet

I'm starting to think that hollowbodies are the fixed gear bike to the bass-playing world.

Funny thing is, I play a hollowbody and ride a fixie.
  8. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

:D
  9. DWLANG

DWLANG

I just put my Fender P up on the wall for a while to noodle w/ a hollowbody for a while (your back will thank you)

I love the look of the Gretsch G5442 in black (red looks hot too), but it's a pretty serious neckdiver and the pups are pretty enemic.

I ended up w/ the Höfner CT 500/7 Verythin and am VERY happy w/ it. ($699 w/ a case from 8th Street Music)

No matter what, put Thomastic Infeld Jazz flatwound 32's strings on! You won't be sorry!
  10. kai_ski

kai_ski Supporting Member

nah. all the hipsters I know play P basses, mustang bass or old cheap beat up hollow japanese crap.
  11. LordRyan

LordRyan

I caught the (short-scale semi-) hollow body trend mainly because of my admiration for many 60's bassists who used them and the unique tones they produce. The Italia Torino is my favorite at the moment but the Gretsch G5442 looks tempting. I don't ride a fixie but I keep my Eddy Merckx 10-speed in the same gear all the time.
  12. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I think it really boils down to people wanting some different tonal options along with a vintage aesthetic. When it comes to solid body basses that have that kind of vibe, your options tend to end up in the same territory: Fenders, Rickenbackers, etc.

A good number of hollowbodies have their own tonal thing going on, and players started seeking out vintage hollowbodies because there wasn't much in that market segment that was new. I suspect that manufacturers like Gibson & Guild (which had some history with hollowbody basses) saw that the interest was there for these instruments. Just look at how well many bass players regard the Lakland Hollowbody. And I think it's that push for something different that pushed Gibson, Guild, and even Warwick to offer hollowbodies in their bass lines.
  13. 4OnTheFloor

4OnTheFloor

ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1361046662.000448.jpg
    This is a great sounding bass. I really like it for funk/rnb/jam type music. I think it could fit in anywhere a jazz bass can.
  14. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet

Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying one of those Gibson Midtowns. There's 'sposed to get one over at True Tone in Santa Monica soon. I'm going to have to make the drive when they do get one. I was GASing over those for a minute, but I decided sticking with my Jack was fine for now.
  15. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder

I really dig my JC bass, but it fits a similar sonic range as my PBass. I could virtually choose either on a given night. Rich mid range grind that sits perfectly between a kick and an electric guitar.
    However, that Gibson setup & perhaps the Guild, seem to fill the space below that mid range grind of the P & JC. Deep and rich, needs a smaller punchier kick drum.
    Cant wait to try them out!
  16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

I picked-up a late 90's MIJ Gretch with TV's for silly cheap. It was a great sounding instrument, lot's of nice tones and really well built. Ultimately I decided to sell it. I gigged it a few times and it was taking on wear pretty quickly, as was my forearm from the hard edge on the upper bout.
  17. Goldmember

Goldmember

The trend was set back in the early '70's when bass virtuoso, Danny Partridge, laid down some groove lines with his Gretsch bass. Dig it.
  18. FloridaSam

FloridaSam