1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hollowbody Bass Recommendation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigsnaketex, Jan 14, 2013.

1. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

The only thing missing from my stable at this point is a nice hollowbody bass and I'm looking for some real world recommendations from folks that use them and what you love about them.

I don't want a cheap one but I don't want to spend a fortune either - so maybe something between $700 - $1500.

Anybody got any suggestions and why you like what you play?
  2. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

Certainly something you want to get out and play before pulling any triggers....if possible. I have a Dearmond Guild Starfire which I picked up used quite cheap. I've seen them run in the $500-$1000 range, used of course since discontinued. I love it and it gets great compliments. Along with my Johnk custom bass, it's the other "If the house is on fire, save these first" list.

I've tried a few old Epi's, some of the Japanese used cool looking ones (with horrible action) and Ibanez Artcores, but I'm very much biased to mine and the hairy bark it produces. I've never heard or read a bad comment on the Lakland hb, but have not played one.
  3. JFOC

JFOC

4. dalkowski

dalkowski

I'd LOVE a used Lakland Skyline HB in my herd. Epi Jack Casadys get lotsa love here too.
  5. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

It's only $400 but the Epi Allen Woody is a great bass.
  6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

+1 for the Lakland Skyline Hollowbody. I had one for a while that had the Bartolini pickups. Wonderful bass. Well crafted, it's a true hollowbody, no feedback problems, great tones on tap.
  7. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Out of the modern hollowbodies that are readily available these days, I have experience with two. The Epiphone Jack Casady bass (which I own) is very good for the price point. I find it easy to play, and the tonal options are great. In fact, I just recorded with mine about a week ago, and it sounded amazing in the mix. You can get a Jack Casady pretty easily online, and there are definitely some deals to be had in the TB classifieds. They pop up fairly often.

The other that I'd recommend is the Lakland Hollowbody. It's reasonably priced, and it had great tone. Playability is definitely there, too. I've played a Skyline version in a store demo, and it was pretty awesome.

There are definitely some other options out there. Gibson just introduced their Metro hollowbody bass, but I haven't had a chance to play one of these yet. And Warwick is offering their Star Bass hollowbody, too. Mind you, these are just some of the NEW models that are out there. Vintage hollowbodies are another story entirely.
  8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

I could not recommend enough the Epiphone Jack Casady bass. The multitude of tones that can be attained by simply adjusting your picking hand technique and placement is remarkable coming from a 1 pick up instrument. To my ears at least, this instrument produces better acoustic tones than most acoustic bass guitars. http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Bass/Jack-Casady-Signature-Bass.aspx
  9. bassman10096

bassman10096

Lots in your price range - biggest question is do you want short or long scale. If short is desirable - Hofner Contemporary violin basses and Club basses (single cutaway) are good buys. The Epi Alan Woody is a great shorty for a fantastic price. The older Epis, Gibsons, Guild Starfires are probably more expensive than you want, but occasionally you'll see a DArmond Starfire under $600 - great shorty and definitely worth trying.
    Long scales include the Lakland Skylines (really nice but at or over top of your range unless you get a good deal used), Gibson's new Midtown bass has gotten some positive attention, the Artcore Ibanez line is good (the current models are short scale), but the AGB 140 was a great long scale hollow - still around in used market.
  10. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

SO many good ones out there now. Ones I enjoyed the most Lakland Skyline and the Epi JC. Wish I had them both back. About to get a Hofner CT Club bass here and am looking forward to that.
  11. awesomesawyer

awesomesawyer

the reverend dub king is nice.
  12. hsech

hsech I may be old, but I still have an opinion. Gold Supporting Member

Gibson has the Midtown Bass that looks like a ES335 only slightly smaller. They run about $1,300 at American Musical Supply. The only thing I would do to it is change out the tri point bridge with a Hipshot Truetone.
  13. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I don't know if the guy's willing to ship, but my local craigslist has a very well price Washburn AB-90 for sale.
  14. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Search `Landscape in the F.S. thread. A very nice and unique deep archtop I used to own.
  15. MarkusBass

MarkusBass Markus Orange loves you. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Graphic Designer: Lakland, Hanson Guitars, and Wilkins Guitars
    Lakland Hollowbody.
  16. el basso

el basso Supporting Member

+ 1 to the Dub ... or one of these, soon to be released!

[​IMG]
  17. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

Oscar Schmidt Delta King.

kind of a cheap-o, but sounded pretty darn good and by far the best looking bass I've ever owned. sounded great, loud enough to play it acoustically
  18. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

Another thumbs up for the Jack Casady. It's not just a great bass for the money it's a great bass period. It's no accident that tons of great players have made this bass a regular player. I recently thinned my herd down to just the Casady and a P bass with the Casady getting by far the most time doing blues, R&B, roots rock and rock gigs. In addition to the good build quality a huge part of the appeal for me is the low impedance pickup and its location which you don't find on any other hollow body.

I liked the Lakland a lot too but it feels and sounds much more like a chambered solid body than a real hollow body.
  19. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

I had an Allan Woody, I would not consider it a hollow body... it had no F holes and was a bit heavier than I thought it would be.
  20. progrmr

progrmr

^^THIS!