1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

hollowbody + chromes, love @ fist sound!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockscott, Nov 7, 2012.

1. rockscott

rockscott

I purchased an ibanez artcore 140 a couple weeks ago. I restrung it with rounds & really did not like the tone. Last night i restrung it with chrome flats, holly crap doe's it sound beautiful! I have always been a rounds player, but this hollowbody will never see them again!

2. jeffbrown

jeffbrown

(He said, shaking his fist in the air, powerpumping with glee...)

Now take the holly off the doe and go play! Seriously, sounds like a keeper!! :hyper:

3. Immigrant

Immigrant

Thanks for providing the response I couldn't come up with.:p

4. woodyng

woodyng

Flats and HB basses are like tequila and limes,made for each other.....my Italia Rimini bass came with roundwounds on it and i thought it sounded OK,but when i replaced the strings with GHS flatwounds,it brought out the best tone imaginable,both percussive and smooth and very full-sounding. It helps if you don't play it with your fist,tho.....:bag:
    :cool:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rockscott

rockscott

This is my first ibanez, its very comfortabe to play, great balance, not to heavy, a keeper for sure!

7. Tom_RCJ

Tom_RCJ

Disclosures:
    Band is sponsored by Trinity Amps and Sennheiser.
    You know that rush you get each easter when you walk into a convenient store and realize, "Oh my god, the cream filled easter eggs are back!" When you eat the first one of the year and you lick out that smooth cream filling, making your taste buds explode...

That's what flats sounds like on my Epi Viola. HB + flats = ear drool.

8. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Rockscott ---

Belated congrats on the Artcore 140 purchase. I own an AGB140. Got it used via CL about 3.5 yrs ago. It's been great and it was my first ever bass. I got it because it was a semihollow body. I wanted to go for the 'Peter Hook' type bass. That was the closest I got.

I think the build quality is absolutely great for the price point. I've seen some higher priced basses (Gretsch Electrochromatic Series and the Gibson reissues of the EB3/0) where the build quality is only a tad bit better.

Anyhow, it was the bass that I used to learn. Now I'm jamming some Peter Hook---Hooky basslines!

I have since acquired a Yamaha BB1200S (yes --- again Peter Hook). It's a totally different bass, but really nails the PH sound.

And now I just purchased (soon to arrive) Hagstrom Viking Reissue. This one is a dual cutout (my Artcore was a single cutout). And it is a short scale. I'm getting 'Closer' to Peter Hook.

So, now I'm getting ready to part with my Artcore. Any ideas what the 'market clearing price' is for the 140?

Thanks!

9. schecter5string

schecter5string

He he he "love fist" ok.. Carry on