Holy Crap! One night stay at hospital = $29,655.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stewie26, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

My wife had to stay over night in the hospital this past November for kidney stones. The bills are now coming in. The inpatient bill is $29,655.10 for just one night. This does not include the use of the ER or the doctor bills which are on separate invoices which add another $4000 to the event. Can you image the vacation you can take for $30 grand. I am just blown away by this. The good thing is I have insurance. The bad thing is were all getting taken for a ride.
    I scanned the bill because it's so unbelievable.
    Rant over.
    EDIT: The brown spot on bill is where I spit my coffee out when I first read statement. Also, almost had another brown spot in my underwear.
    [​IMG]
  2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

I'm sure the market will correct for it.

:|
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

It makes absolutely no sense, no matter how you look at it.
    The cost can't even be 1/5th of that, no matter how you look at it.
  4. Staredge

Staredge

That's the bill they send the insurance companies. I was in the step-down cardiac ward for three days a few years back, and full stop it didn't break 10k. (self pay, no insurance)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

My wife had a four day stay in hospital recently from complications due to multiple sclerosis.

Cost = £0
  7. tplyons

tplyons

This is what they send to the insurance companies. The insurance companies have agreed to rates that they'll pay out, so the hospitals can essentially charge anything, and will get paid the agreed to rate.

It's still entirely out of hand.
  8. Happynoj

Happynoj

I work for the ambulance service and every day we convery hundreds of patients to hospitals for every reason under the sun.

Cost = £0
  9. Happynoj

Happynoj

Just think how much lower insurance premiums would be if the hospitals charged a sensible amount...
  10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

That may be true but in the US hospitals are allowed to bill those who can pay for those who refuse to pay.

It's happened to me.

The insurance will deal with most of this and the bill be under 10 K when they're done. EOB.
  11. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Not entirely true of course. I don't know what the average brit pays a year for free healthcare but here in canada its apparently an average of somewhere around 3700$ a year per canadian. I pay about maybe 700$ a year though because my income is very low. Still i much rather "pay" that and never have to worry about going to the hospital or seeing a doctor. I know the numbers would change throughout the years because of inflation, but let's say it was a stable 700$ every year for all my adult years so far, that means less than 12000$. I know i used the health system for many times that amount so far.
  12. Jazz Ad

You guys are paying for this, even through your insurance company.
    Are aspirine boxes lined with gold ? Or the scan camera is made by Apple ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. bmc

bmc

One night in a private hospital in Geneva, Switzerland cost $1,500, not including tests or doctors.
  14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

If one does not know the cost of a product/service, how will the market correct for it? It's not like one can call a few hospitals and get prices.:atoz:

Imagine buying bass equipment like this. Order a bass with no price tag on it, get a bill for $8,000 and then the builder gives you a special discount of $6,000 because of competition. You tell the builder I can't afford that. He/she suggests that you put it on a credit card so you can pay it off over a couple of years. If you can only pay $500 of the balance you get bad credit scores, sent to collections and finally to court.
  15. DerHoggz

I edited the post for clarity.
  16. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

You can get an awesome luxury hotel suite in a five star resort for under a $1000 a night.
    I just can't understand why a hospital room is $30,000. The room my wife was in looked like it had not been cleaned in over a week. To me the math just does not add up.
  17. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

My last doctors visit was 30 bucks. My last 90 day supply of lipitor was 15 bucks.
  18. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

An average new room in a hospital is 2.1 million dollars.
  19. DerHoggz

Why: free market
  20. Jazz Ad

Free market is all good but there are areas in which it doesn't work.
    Defense, health, education, justice,...
    For a reason that escapes me, USA chose to leave healthcare away from regalian rights.
    I know many US citizens are adamant about it but I still can't understand how it can be a good thing.
  21. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Which you'd pay off in 70 days at $30k a night (granted, I appreciate they wouldn't charge that each night, but the point still stands, how regularly are hospital rooms totally renovated?).