'Holy Grail' -- enough already!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thejumpcat, Apr 10, 2014.

1. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat Supporting Member

How many 'holy grail' of amplifiers can there be? Doesn't the term mean just one? THE one.

First I heard it was about 20 years ago when Kendrick guitar amplifiers were all the rage. I'm going to blame the over-used description on Gerald Weber. :D

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I enjoy when TBers buy an amp and call it their holy grail--and then sell it a few weeks/months later to "try something else.":D

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I get the whole Dumble "holy grail" thing for guitarists as they can sell for $50k and up, but that is about it. Trainwreck is up there too.

For bass, nothing ever made amp-wise is worth much over $2k IMO.

Personally, I have owned dozens of amps and my "holy grail" of tone is the Jule Monique. Best amp I have ever heard, period. Could that change next week, next year, next decade? Sure.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Itzayana

Itzayana

To me the term "Holy Grail" means an unattainable mythological thing of perfection that will forever be searched for and never found.
    So how many can there be... ZERO I would think.
    Even if someone created the "perfect" amp, there would be people scrambling around trying to find out if one year was better than another, which tubes make it sound best, or if "chicken head" knobs were better than standard knobs.
    Once again, the answer is ZERO.

7. BurningSkies

I believe in the holy grail just as much as I believe in the crystal matrix that Dumble spews.

8. chadds

chadds

For me it "might" only because empirically I'm open to the possibility. Will I? Don't think so. Why? The combination of intent, delivery, art and science into something for us bass players that delivers. Delivers. Yes not in specs, or features but in the application of the known science to make something that acts musical. So after playing bass since 1965 and playing every amp that's considered the grail and deciding that the late '60s Hiwatt was the be all and the Sunn 2000s a close second in different ways, the Monique just brings it. Sorry you SVT folk it is a great amp but when I came along it was just one of the greats. To be fair a healthy tuned SVT is a wonder. I just prefer clean boom. I prefer. A Sunn 2000s into two Altec or JBL cabs is for me the holy shiz. When the press kept comparing the Monique to the SVT I took a gamble and found what I was looking for. For me that's a Showman pre not cranked into loud McIntosh tube amps into well designed cabs with JBLs or Altecs.

Now Monique just does all of it grind grit or hifi Hiwatt Sunn action. It's a tube pre where you never miss power tubes. YMMV of course.

9. BurningSkies

The other night, I found myself thinking that for me the Holy Grail would be a combination of the feel and tone of the Monique, but with this THING that the Kern has...which is a truly spectacular utterly rich complex beauty. I've never had that 'moment' with Monique were I was just stunned by the beauty of a note like I have been with the Kern (I've actually been distracted from playing when I've heard it), but the dynamic of the Kern lacks a whole bunch of what the Monique offers and I wouldn't trade all of the good points for that one thing the Kern has.

10. juledude

juledude Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & Creator of Jule Amps & Monique
    In the voice of John Cleese as the waiter in The Meaning of Life, "Just one more."

:)

11. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

WHAT...is your holy grail amp?

WHAT...is your favorite cab?

WHAT...is the capital of Assyria?

12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying different equipment. Sometimes you change your mind, sometimes not. Sometimes you change it back. The process of trial is not free, but it's not wrong wrong to switch things out. Nor is it wrong to want to use just one piece of gear. Talk Bass is just a bunch of [often hyperbolic] words that don't mean a d**n thing until you plug the gear in and play it, hear it with your own ears in the context of your musical requirements, and give it a go. Why all the angst? It's just gear for Pete's sake!

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    If I saw one at a flea market for dirt cheap, it would absolutely be a holy grail to me. Just due to the rarity and value. Same with a 1958/59 Les Paul 'Burst. Super rare and it would be super cool to find.

I do agree with you.... although A Stradivarius violin, a Gibson Loar mandolin, a prewar Martin D-28, a Fender Broadcaster, etc. would be considered holy grails by many collectors.

14. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Isn't the holey grail a metal thing that they put in the front of the cab to protect the speakers?

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't seek the grail. I know some who do, and it's generally a fruitless pursuit. I have a few very nice amps, they all work fine for me, each with its own character. I don't need no steenkeeng grail.

16. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

:D :D :D

17. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    In my business which is one of sound superlatives and signature sounds etc.
    I have had to work out how to afford the next holy grail and the one before that and the one before that reaching back to the first holy grail
    which is the early 1940's RCA OP-6 Mic pre amp.
    But no doubt this thread is all about how adding a vintage warmer plug in to a behringer euro desk pre amp is the all new holy grail.:crying:

18. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

This brand of fairy dust sounds amusing. Do you have a link, by chance?

19. BurningSkies

20. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    this one bit me in the knee...

[​IMG]

21. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego