1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Holy Squier!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spanndrew, Dec 9, 2013.

1. spanndrew

spanndrew

Well I've had my heart set on a new jazz bass for quite some time, and I've been thinking that the MIM model was my girl for sure. Well today me and my friend rolled by our local GC and while he named on some guitars I went to the bass section. I played the MIM for like 20 minutes and was pretty confident that I'd be taking it home, but then I thought I'd just mess around while my friend shopped. So I picked up a squier modified 70's bass, and oh my god. It was an incredible bass. It felt great in my hands and honestly felt as good as it's 500 dollar cousin that I'd been playing all night. The tone was a little different, but not necessarily in a bad way. I didn't buy anything, just thought I'd do some research first and see what I could find out. Anyway, I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else on TB? Totally blind sided by a squier like I was; and maybe someone that had that particular bass could tell me now they like it :hyper:
  2. fredolee16

fredolee16

I recently bought the Squier Vintage Modified jazz bass but the 77's version. Has the best action I ever have in a Jazz bass. I put the action very low and with no fret buzz anywhere. Very beautiful neck with the block inlays in pearl. (I had 3 MIM, 1 MIJ and one USA jazz bass) so I know what I'm talking about. None of those jazz basses have the action of the squire. Sounds nice. Not perfect but for the price, those Squier Vintage Modified jazz basses are killer deals.
  3. ShowLow

ShowLow Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

It's not just you. I have a Squier Classic Vibe '60s J bass that just kills. I have no justification for owning it whatsoever, as it is one of too many jazzers (AVRI, MIJ, MIM, Atkinson). It is slightly hefty at a bit over 9 pounds. But it sounds great, it's easy to play and it looks really nice. I like it, can you tell?

I foolishly traded its equally excellent Precision cousin only to see it parted out. :/

Much love here on TB for Squier's higher-end basses. They really are price performers.
  4. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

When you find a low end (price/quality wise) bass that speaks to you and stands out like that...you should buy it. Your experience isn't super common, but it's certainly not unheard of. Sometimes the squier beats out the MIM!
  5. pudgychef

pudgychef

seems a lot more common since the birth of the CV and VM Squiers:bassist:
  6. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Yep. I really do like my MIM Precision, but I've gotten over the cognitive dissonance and accept that most of the Squier CV and VMs I've laid my hands on have been as good as or better than my Mexi Fender - at half the price. My 50s CV was at least on par, and I've got a Matt Freeman sig bass in the mail that I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on.
  7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. Squiers are incredible values, and in some cases incredible basses .. and in some not quite as much (just like their Fender relatives)

.. if a $300 bass meets your needs and you think it is better than anything else you play, by all means jump on it (as already mentioned), it would be foolish to spend any more, and you certainly dont need anyone elses confirmation .. JMHO ;)
  8. spanndrew

spanndrew

To clarify, it was a fender fsr standard jazz that I was looking at. Sorry if that caused any confusion!
  9. og61pbass

og61pbass

aaaah man well that just changes everything...:bag:
  10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Neat story, spanndrew. Just out of curiosity, which kind/year Vintage Modified Jazz was it? Natural vs. colored finish, glossy vs. satin neck, etc.? I ask because I was trying out a bunch o' Squiers last night. I noticed how the 2013 models have a gloss finished neck as opposed to the earlier ones with a satin finish. One was not necessarily better than the other, just…different in it's feel.
  11. soulman969

soulman969

The basses are the true all stars of the Squier line. I've been playing Fender basses for over 35 years but sold the last of my Jazz Basses, a Deluxe, several years ago. About three years ago when I decided to pickup another I decided to give a CV '60s Jazz a shot. It's as good or better than any Fender Bass I've ever owned including my '66 Jazz. I enjoyed it so much I ended up buying a Matt Freeman PBass as well.

Both now have Bill Lawrence pickups in them and I'd put them up against any other similar bass made. The quality and playability are exceptional for a bass in their price range. Even with the new pickups I have less into both of these than a new MIA Jazz or PBass would run. I realize there are subtle differences in them but they in now was effect the playability of the Squiers. They're a bargain.
  12. spanndrew

spanndrew

It was natural with with the glossy neck, I'm not sure of the year though. The feel made it seem super fast when playing up and down the fretboard.
  13. Malak the Mad

I'm pretty sure that'd make it one of the new 2013 models. There were two of those at the Guitar Center I visited. Both were the natural finish 70's Jazzes, but the newer one had the glossy neck.

Have you had a chance to try out a Classic Vibe? I just got a used one (mis-labled as a Vintage Modified, yay savings!) at it is sah-weeeeeet!
  14. spanndrew

spanndrew

Did you have a preference over either? I only had the one to play on a 4 string, they had the satin in 5.
  15. Malak the Mad

Not at first, but most of my basses have glossy necks, so I think I've gotten used to them. However, I went in there specifically to get the feel for the VM Jaguar's neck (the one with the black headstock and pearloid inlays) for a possible parts-bass project. Compared to my CV's neck, the Jag's satin finish felt rough and even a little cheap. Nothing against satin finishes, though. I have two Squier Standards, a Jazz and a P-Bass Special, and their satin necks feel just fine.
  16. MMatFoCBass

MMatFoCBass

This happened to me in a Long & McQuade in Pringe George.

I was playing a few of the basses and then decided to mess around with the electric guitars, (I'm not a purist, I know, heterogeneous rather) so I started off with an Ibanez. I thought the Ibanez was pretty solid and around the value that the price tag justified, however I wanted to try out some of the Telecasters they had. I tried an American standard Tele, and was liking the twang and feel but wanted to see the difference between it and the Custom. The Custom had humbuckers in it, and sound pretty heavy but I was still favoring the American standard. Picked up a Classic Vibe Telecaster next, it was in a see-through blonde, (Not Butter-Scotch Blonde), it had this pretty cool speckling across the fretboard (Maple). I plugged it in for kicks.

Holy Sweet Mother of Cthulu; this guitar sounded better then any of the other's I had touched. It felt more effortless to play, and I think that had to do with great action and setup on it. But that lasting impression was, this thing literally blew the other guitars out of the water.

I'm going back to PG soon, and I hope its still there. Might part with my Baritone for it.
  17. robertebooker

robertebooker

I purchased a vm jaguar bass a year ago and absolutely loved it.. But over time i was needing more from the pups, so i switched out the Duncan design for p quarter ponders. And its my main bass in my bluegrass americana project.. looking into out vm squiers too. Great bang for buck. And a simple pup mod to take them to the next level..
  18. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

adore my 70' VMJ I bought couple years back - it's my main bass. Played a American made Geddy Lee jazz and the Squier VMJ side by side....brought the Squier home..."and there was much rejoicing". Have also owned the '77 jazz traded for a VM jaguar (black /red tort / block inlay) which I just traded for a VM jazz fretless. The 70's jazz is still the bad ass of the bunch.
  19. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

Never played one but im thinking of getting a fretless jazz for 300 its worth it I say cant go wrong
  20. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

This has happened to me while searching for a P bass. I went to GC with the drummer in my band and figured I would see if the CV's were as good as I kept hearing they are. Not only was it good, it was better than expected. I went home did some further research and ordered one online. I have what would be considered better basses but truth be told the Squier is now my main gigging bass. Go figure. I also own a VM Jag and Jazz I have gigged with.