Home coffee roasting

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pedroims, Nov 13, 2013.

1. pedroims

pedroims

Somebody roasting coffee at home? I m interested to start roasting my own coffee, any advice is welcome, my budget for a roaster is $250
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    A friend used to roast in my office, using a hot air popcorn popper. It was divine.
  3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I know iamlowend roasts and DigMe & MJ5150 are very knowledgable about all things coffee. They should be able to help you.
  4. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

My nephew does the same thing. I think the air popper does smaller batches than a regulation roaster, but he got it a Goodwill for five bucks or something.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chunk-O-Funk

Chunk-O-Funk

I was looking into the same thing (with a small budget) a while back and decide to leave the roasting up to the people who know how to roast. The sellers.

I have heard that people do get good results with a pop corn popper though. Besides cost you would have to have an outdoor place to do it. The smell would be bad and look up what chaf is. It can get everywhere.

I would have to look into it but $250.00 won't get you good results in a consumer style roaster.
  7. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

It is "iamlowsound" to you, and everyone else too :smug:

The best resource for everything roasting is www.sweetmarias.com, that is where I buy everything. I have a discontinued home air roaster call the "iRoast 2". It is basically a popcorn popper with a timer and a temperature control. It works well for my needs, but it has a small batch size and I would prefer if it had double the capacity. I have to roast a few times a week usually. That is with 2-3 coffees a week, would be more if I was drinking espresso.

This is similar to the one that I have: http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/air-roasters/freshroast/sr500.html

If I had to do it again, I would spend the extra money and get this one: http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/drum-roasters/behmor.html?source=grid

I usually roast outside, because it smells like strong burnt coffee. I am trying to convince my wife to let me roast inside for the winter, as my roaster (like any roaster) is really affected by ambient temperature. I keep a spreadsheet with roast temperature, ambient temperature, roast time, bean and what it tasted like. This way I can dial in a good roast for the bean. Sweet Maria's has a good roast profile for the beans that they sell, once you get good at roasting you should be able to hit them. I can't say enough how well they know their coffee.

lowsound
  8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Fascinated, but I have way too much on my plate already right now. My coffee roasting days will have to come after getting a donkey and beekeeping are crossed off the list. I will still read this thread, though.
  9. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I started with a popcorn popper and could get good results with one still, although it is all on sound with one. $250 and lots of practice will get you great coffee. Practice is the key thing in roasting coffee, lots and lots of practice. Your first few roasts wont be very good. Unless, of course, you are used to really crappy coffee. Coffee roasting is a journey, it is a lot of fun and it is much cheaper on a per cup basis. Dive right in. Also, buy a good grinder, even if it is a manual grinder. DON'T use a blade grinder.

lowsound
  10. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

I've been doing it for maybe 3-4 yrs with a Behmor. Roasting about 3-4 lbs of greens a week. We drink a lot of Joe. Wine too, come to think of it.
  11. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

i have been roasting for years and never looked back.

i have used several models, the nesco coffee roaster, the Fresh Roast, and now, i use the IRoast2 that lowsound referred to.

the first 2 bit the dust after a couple of years. the Iroast has lasted the longest. i roast about twice a week and only put about 3/4 the recommended amount....it only roasts a fairly small amount, but when i roast, i usually do about 3 batches and i never run out of coffee

my wife was against it at first...more toys that you're spending money on, blah, blah...but now, she absolutely loves it

best coffee i ever had....as said, you need some practice, but once you get it down, it's a snap...usually roast to different levels for a real taste experience...roast to different levels and blend it all into one container

i buy green coffee off of ebay and usually get it for @4-5 dollars a pound if you buy 20 pounds or so. there are several great suppliers.

Ethiopian Yergicheffe, Sumatran, central american...all great. when i have a little extra cash, i get some hawaiian or Jamaican Blue Mountain...you can't beat it.

when i get the funds, i would like to buy a Gene Cafe for about 500 bucks, but for now, i am happy with my IRoast.

do it...you, like me, will never look back

[​IMG]

PS...i don't know about Lowsound's grinder snobbery...i use an electric blade grinder and my son in law has one of those fancy burr grinders...i have never been able to tell the difference...i think that is just a case of liking the fancy item because everybody says it is better....use whatever you want
  12. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Dave, I'll have to check eBay out. I always buy from Sweet Maria's. Any sellers you recommend?

lowsound
  13. Lonesomedave

lately been buying from a company called Bodhi leaf (sic?) but there is a company called Golforca that seems to have good prices. also try Greentreecoffee, i have bought from them a couple times.

have you tried Ethiopian Yergicheffe? it has a really great flavor.

[​IMG]
  14. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

not to completely disagree or anything, but from what I'm told the burr grinder is best when one is making espresso or using a french press or similar method of making coffee. It grinds the beans down to a more uniform size, this preventing small amounts of dust leaking through the french press and such. My father uses a french press and a blade grinder and likes it just fine, but to some people the minute things matter, and if it makes 'em happy I don't bother arguing.
  15. pedroims

pedroims

Wow..TB is an amazing place..one can get great information for any topic. Thanks all for your comments.

I went ahead and I bought the FreshRoast SR500, this roast small batches which is ideal for me as I will need to practice alot :).. We drink 3 pounds of coffee per month, that is $ 30 USD !! so roasting my own coffee looks like the way to go. And because my wife must to have a cup of coffee every morning in order to work properly, I am fully supported :)

Following is the list of beans that I got from Sweet Marias and Burman Coffee Traders, this will keeping me busy through the winter:

Ethiopia Chelelektu Yirga Cheffe -
    Sumatra Lake Toba - Samosir Island -
    Kenya Nyeri Tambaya AA -
    Colombian Premium Volcano de Tolima Gaitana
    Guatemalan SHB Palo Alto Azul
    Guatemala Huehuetenango - Tono Sanchez
    Costa Rican Tarrazu La Pastora
    Mexico Terruño Nayarita Washed Organic
    Mexico Organic La Lagunilla -
    El Salvador Finca Matalapa Bourbon -
  16. Lonesomedave

yeah....forgot to mention Kenyan, but you'll love it....i think the Fresh Roast is an ideal beginner machine.

you'll have it down in no time....but check ebay....that price is way too high

[​IMG]
  17. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

That Sumatra is one of my favourite coffees, I have been drinking it for years. My current roast is, I believe I would have to check the bag to be sure, that Costa Rican. Good choices. Also, that Sumatra is a very forgiving coffee to roast as, so start with that one.

Dave, I haven't roasted any Ethiopian yet, but it is on my list. Drank some at a coffee shop and it was wonderful. A blade grinder is fine if you are doing mainly drip, but a burr grinder will still make better coffee. For espresso, your coffee is only as good as your grinder.

lowsound
  18. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I blame sleep deprivation :ninja:
  19. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

You are a grad student, so I buy that. You need your own coffee, I prescribe two double shots of espresso.

lowsound
  20. elgecko

elgecko

Damn, you guys have taken coffee nerdism to a whole other level!
  21. kasanovakarl

kasanovakarl

I got into home roasting because of TB. I use a popcorn popper, and have purchased a lot of beans from Sweet Maria's. I enjoy, even as basic as I do it, what I've roasted so far. For me, the popcorn popper is all I need now. I'm worried if I were to keep looking, I'd get GAS for more toys.