Home Improvement Guys: Insulation?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I own a late 50's California contemporary house in Virginia Beach. Pretty neat...low-pitched roof / ceilings, exposed beams, etc. Problem is that I believe the ceiling to be terribly under-insulated. The only option I can see is to stuff some type of insulation between the beams (27" beam-to-beam, ~8-9" deep), staple in vapor barrier, and install segmental "false ceilings" between each beam in an attempt to maintain some character of the original ceiling. Am I missing something or does this appear to be a sound idea? Any input or suggestions are appreciated!

Now I have to install storm windows for 3 deep-well skylights!

Riis

2. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Only other way to do it would be from above. Which is a better idea if you need a new roof. You would strap the roof, insulate, re-sheet the roof and instal new shingles. I have done it before and it is the best option.

lowsound

3. Steve

Steve

icynen spray it

Seriously. That stuff is un-friggan- believeable.

4. Zooberwerx

Maybe too expensive...I'd rather keep it a DIY project. I'm thinking along the line of paper-backed fiberglass, pink Corning foam board, or blown insulation. Irrespective of product, I was told I would need a poly vapor barrier on the warm / room side of things. New roof is not required at this time.

Riis

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Spray is the best, followed by blown in. Fibreglass is the worst. For batt insulation, Roxul is the best. Worth every penny of the extra it costs over fibreglass.

lowsound

7. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

For a weekend residential project - if you can't afford the spray insulation at least do yourself the favor of splurging on the blown insulation. Paper-backed fiberglass is cheap and effective but such a PITA to work around after it's installed if you have to service or add anything.

Peace,
    Greg

8. Zooberwerx

Lots of great options but I like the wedge-ability of the Roxul. I really don't want to call in a contractor.

Riis

9. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

If you are anyway handy, it isn't that hard of a job. The majority of heat loss is through the roof, more insulation is always a good idea. Also, in the warm, sunny months, lots of heat can enter through your roof from the sun. This is what I am guessing is your concern as I guess you are in California.

lowsound

10. bolophonic

bolophonic

I am in the middle of rehabbing a 100+ year old farmhouse and I met with a professional insulator yesterday, in fact. He gave me a huge amount of information to think about with regards to spray foam, blown fiberglass, batts. Some of it sounds like I could do it myself (which I will not, because insulation is my least favorite thing to work with) and some of it sounds like it should be left to the pros. I would consider consulting a professional or two to give you a comprehensive look at properly insulating your house.

11. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Umm, this is honest and fair.

Call in some professionals, get some estimates and find out what your options are to insulate. Either from the inside or possibly to insulate by injecting urethane foam through the drywall of your ceiling (via small holes) and into the space on the other side. That urethane foam is awesome!

Then, make a decision what is the best thing to do. Have a pro do it? or DIY?

Usually, estimates are free and no obligation.

Good luck.

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

What kind of roof? We took our ranch/Eichler-style house and replaced the tar and gravel with a 4" foam base and an acrylic over coat. One of the best energy-saving moves ever!

13. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

You don't want to add a vapor barrier between the cold and another vapor barrier. That will cause nothing but problems with mold. If you just blow in more insulation, you should be fine. If you replace the skylights or roof, that would make it easier to see if you missed any areas, but using an extension for the blower hose should make that a non-issue. As long as the sky lights and roof NEVER leak, you should be OK doing it this way. If either does leak, you'll need to address that now, rather than when it becomes a larger problem.

If you have plane to re-roof it, add the foam and use white membrane- the Summer energy savings will make it well worth doing. You may even qualify for energy rebates for doing all of this.

14. Zooberwerx

Glad you asked. Oh, BTW...I'm Virginia Beach not California.

The roof, as I can best describe, is a relatively thin stratified jobby much like an Oreo cookie. While I'm sure there's some insulation present it is woefully inadequate. Let's put it like this: when my neighbor was installing a conventional shingle roof, the roofing nails would actually protrude beyond the ceiling tiles inside...that's how thin it is. Adding insulation would be akin to insulating the floor joists between the first floor (heated) and basement (unheated) below only the thermal relationship would be reversed. The exposed beams act as the joists and, once insulation is installed, the mod will need to be "dressed" with some type of dropped ceiling to disguise...which is why a properly placed vapor barrier must be added.

Riis