1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Home recording review?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Dudie, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Dudie

Dudie

Hello, low end folks! This weekend we did a home recording with vocals, guitar and bass. It would be nice if you took the time to listen and come up with some views and what might be improved. I was surprisingly happy with the sound but it would be nice with some more inputs. Positive and negative :) https://soundcloud.com/judy-oaktree

Thanx!

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Sounds great for the most part. I could use more dynamics and more variety in terms of arrangement. In particular, I'm struggling with something in particular in my own groups:

* the lack of introductions and stuff to set up tunes. All the tunes sound "the same". Head in, maybe solo, head out - that's the only recipe you're using. If your recordings don't end with a fade over a vamp, they end with ritard. Must it always be so? Ostinatos? End a tune short? Arranged endings?

* dynamics. Your'e at one volume for pretty much all the recordings.

* The mix is pretty good. The bass might be a little boomy on some devices.

With a little more work you could have a nice polished sound. Good job tho and great playing.

3. Dudie

Dudie

Many thanks for taking the time to listen!. :) I completely agree with you on your views about the arrangements. We just recorded without actually having done anything special with the songs.
    A friend of mine also thought that the bass sounded muddy but in my headphones and speaker, I think it sounds pretty good.

Thank you. appreciate it very much!

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Sure. Yeah, it's really easy to get right into just playing the tune - maybe too easy. In my own playing, I'd like to be able to just making intros and endings as easy and natural as it is to play the tune.

5. Register to disable this ad