Home Studio/Recording Amp for under 1k

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Jan 22, 2013.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

I'm looking for a nice home studio amp for home use and some recording. I'd like to keep it to under 1k.

I play mostly classic/indie rock, currently a MIA P Bass alternating between rounds and flats.

I'd like something that sounds good at relatively low volumes and that can produce a classic warm/full P bass tone.

thanks

2. arai

arai

tc electronic rh 450 works great with a p for warm old school tones. Has a really good di too.

3. spacebassed

spacebassed

An Ampeg B15 sounds like it would be perfect for you - it doesn't get any more classic warm and full that that. A B15 and a P-bass is a match made in Heaven.

4. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

If only I had 5k sitting around

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They have a new imported B-15 coming out that's going to be a good deal less than $5000. And old B-15's and SB-12's can be had for less than a grand sometimes if you're willing to take a dinged up one.

7. spacebassed

spacebassed

You certainly don't need $5k to own a B15, if that was the case most of us that do own them probably wouldn't. You'll have no problem finding a B15 for $1k or maybe less. I've seen some 70's B15's go for around $750 lately.

8. prd004

prd004

Ampeg B-100R, is exactly what you're looking for.
    They don't make them anymore, but they pop up used fairly often.
    Search it and you'll find nothing but love for them!
    I would never sell mine, it's that good

9. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

How would you guys compare the portaflex 350?

10. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Mesa Walkabout. Warm, records very well, loves a P bass, and is available for well under $1K used. I like the Fender Bassman less than the WA for gigging, but it's also a nice recording option for mic'ed cab. (Even here, though, for my tastes the ability to run external cabs makes the Walkabout more versatile, as you can easily change the voicing by running the head through a cab w/ different character.)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I've actually done it. I was surprised at how well it came off in my recordings. It's not 100% identical to a B-15 but it does mic up and record extremely well. So does the Micro VR.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I sure like my Mesa Walkabout.

13. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I don't use an amp for recording in the home project studio anymore...been using a POD for the past 4 or 5 years. I have amps in the studio but only use them for rehearsal and for working up tunes with other musicians.

I have Waves GTR3 coming tomorrow...looking forward to working with it.

14. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

Yeah, this would be less for recording and more for just playing at lower volumes

15. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The B100R is a great option for a fraction of the cost ($200-300 used). I loved recording with that thing. 1/4" line out. It's not a tube amp, but it delivered as good as one. Weakness: Basically one flavor- classic/vintage. Strength: Can do a "spongey" feeling drive on the front end which only a handful of amps that I know can do really well.

I love the 400/400+ if you want a beast of an amp that falls in your budget. I've used mine (with a Sansamp as a secondary color... either in front or in the FX loop depending) for everything. Modern metal, hip hop, alternative, acoustic rock, etc. It can do it all, and especially with a few other pieces... outboard pre, compressor, etc.

Never used a Walkabout but it's a super popular amp.

16. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I'm just starting to dabble in some recording, but my Walkabout sounds best of all my heads by far (compared to Mesa M9, GB SMax 12).

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well then you can use anything.

18. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

The MicroVR looks pretty cool, might have to check that out.