1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Homebrew Frostbite Flanger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jim C, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Jim C

Jim C

Any experieince with this?
    Is it close to an ADA flanger or, is it better to look for a ADA reissue to get close to the original units tonality?
    Looks like one could save a few $$ with the Frostbite as well.

2. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I had a Frostbite and did not like it very much. It did not sound good on bass.
    I have an ADA Flanger and consider it far superior to the Frostbite.
    It's great at doing extreme flange sounds.

For more conservative tones, I am a huge fan of the Boss BF-2.

3. Jim C

Jim C

Thanks very much.
    I've had a BF-2 since the mid 80's and thought I'd try something new.
    Sounds like an ADA or Fulltone Choralflange would be a good place to look for a bit heavier of a flanger effect.

4. Shish

Shish

I have Frostbite and it's one of my favorite pedals ever. I had Choralflange and it couldn't come even close to what Frostbite does.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim C

Jim C

Hmmm
    Could you describe the differences and the type of music you play?

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

I have a mint condition Frostbite (in the box with the psu) built with a NOS ADA chip (one of 18 that HBE acquired) that I might part with for a lot less than a new one.

PM me if you're interested.

8. Laurent

The Fulltone Choralflange is also a nice pedal. I've had a couple over the years. They are very musical, kind of "airy" and fluide. That being said I've never liked them enough to keep them for a long time. The Arion bass flanger is a nice pedal too. They are generally not expensive and sound pretty close to the BF-2. They have a feedback knob which when pushed all the way yields tones I've never been to achieve with any other flangers.

9. benevan

benevan

Don't have any experience with the Homebrew unit, but since the Choralflange was mentioned, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

I have both the Choralflange and the 2010 reissue ADA Flanger. Both are great units in there own right, but IME the Choralflange is much better as a chorus than an flanger. The CF has an analog warmth and an almost subtle tone which is great for the chorus and good if you are looking only for limited flanging.

The ADA is much better for full on, jet swoosh flanging.

I have not checked the pricing recently for used CFs but they held their value well on the used market when they were still in production. I can only guess that the value has risen since they are no longer produced and now may be more expensive than a new ADA 2010 reissue, which seem to be readily available from some online retailers.

I also own the Foxrox TZF and the Chicago Iron flanger, with the TZF edging out all of these as my personal overall favorite, but I would suggest you go for the ADA since it is readily available for a reasonable price.

Please note that the ADA has a fixed power cord rather than a power adapter socket. This could be a big issue to some users depending on pedalboard power convenience and/or using the pedal internationally.

10. Laurent

Actually the AD/A latest production run has done away with the fixed power cord and now offers a standard pedal power supply. A big plus in my book. Tone has not changed.

11. benevan

benevan

I got one of the first serials from the 2010 version. Perhaps they changed this on the later batches. Good to know.

12. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

The Frostbite is one of the coolest pedals around. Everything about it. It sounds SO good and just look at it....it's a thing of beauty!

13. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

It's my understanding that the inspiration for the frostbite is the ADA.

I have one and it is an incredibly versatility flanger. Very good clean sound and personally I like the "tone".

The BF2 is a great flanger but if you want sounds it can't do try either the HBE or the ADA. If you don't like one sell it and buy another.