1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

homemade combo amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by newyorkiddo, Feb 25, 2014.

1. newyorkiddo

newyorkiddo Coffee Coffee Bassist Supporting Member

I'm tired of taking my SVT 3 Pro and cabinet back and forth between practices. I recently got a 12" inch, 4 ohm, 400 watt subwoofer from my friend. I do not know much about speakers or amps themselves, but I do know how to solder and read wiring diagrams, so I was wondering if it's possible to put this thing into an enclosure for a combo. If not, I can just design something and make it out of wood. Also, where would I get the preamp and all the other components for it? Help me. :confused:
  2. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

The subwoofer would be a very poor choice for a bass guitar speaker, sorry.
  3. newyorkiddo

Aw man. Maybe I'll trade it for some 10" speakers.
  4. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Subwoofers are quite inefficient. Really, really inefficient.
    You would need a lot more power than with a speaker designed for bass guitar application, to get the same volume. Subwoofers are also subject to the rule of two thirds - You can have two of these: Low, Loud, Small.
    That being said, if you're feeling adventurous and money is no object, you could build a cab with a mid driver too. High pass the signal before the amplifier. Get a compact high power solid state amp to power the cab.
    But it's still not a great idea. You'd be losing a lot over just buying a combo.

EDIT: If you decide to trade for 10s, and you still want to make something, make sure they're full range speakers.
  5. noiseguy

noiseguy

It will probably not sound great, but I'd build it anyways.

My first "amp" was a Little Gem amp that I built from parts using a dead ghetto blaster as the case, speakers, and battery holder. Inefficient and horrible distortion... I love it, and learned a lot from the project.

Schematic here http://www.runoffgroove.com/littlegem.html
  6. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

If you like 'DIY' and have decent wood working skills consider buying a small micro (GK MB200 or similar) and a pair of Faital 10FE200 drivers - put them all in a nominal 2 cf box: amp in its own slot, drivers in a shared ported enclosure. Duratex exterior, handle and metal corners. Killer bass combo amp. Reduce cost by getting a 200-350w micro used.
  7. newyorkiddo

I'll definitely do it, and if it sounds horrible, I'll try again. :D
  8. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Used? Not cheap enough!
    DIY amp or bust! ;)
  9. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

What brand and type is the subwoofer, and how loud are your practice sessions?
  10. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

11. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

I own a Peavey Basic 112 combo that has a nice sounding pre and power amp that is easily detachable. I'm thinking of pulling it to make a 1x15 or 18 custom combo if/when I find a good deal. The only prob with Basic 112 is: the 12" speaker cab is fart city. If you're like me and try to make do with what you have… I still wouldn't use the sub. I'd find a full range woofer to build around and a used head from an old combo that sounds good pushing your cab (but not it's combo cab which = cheap 2nd hand).
    patience, and happy gassing,
    fnord!
  12. newyorkiddo

Yeah, I'm giving up on that 12 inch. So now I've decided I will try it with 2 10" speakers and hopefully I'll make something alright.
    my practices aren't too loud. Electric drums are pretty cool haha. That's why I really see no point in taking an SVT to practice.
  13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Per AstroSonics suggestion....the 8ohm FaitalPro 10FE200 is a very nice sealed cab speaker for bass guitar. This takes a lot of complications out of the design and build process. Their response curve is respectable in as little as 7/8ths cu.ft. net volume per driver, which means, you can basically build a 2cu.ft. (internal volume) box, stuff it generously with polyfill, and load the speakers in there. Align the speakers vertically (one directly on top the other), build a little "airhead" on top the cab to contain the amp and you're done. If you want to get fancy, you could put a slight tilt-back angle to the baffle, setting the top 1 to 1-1/2" back from where the bottom is. This would keep the mids and highs in your ear when you're standing just a few feet in front of the cab.

They're very nice speakers and not expensive at all...I think about $53 each at UsSpeaker .com.

Simple build, low cost, good sound.

The 4 ohm version of the same driver (to result in an 8ohm 210) however is better suited to ported cabs.

Your idea of a small amp (the MB200 watts @ 4ohms) and a pair of the 8ohm 10FE200's would make a very nice combo.
  14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

My nephew gave me a 12" JBL car subwoofer. I know in my mind that a driver for a car does not work for a bass. My heart, however, still looks at the brute fondly. :)
  15. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

If you already have the sub, and don't mind having a low volume cab that's thirsty for power, you could build yourself a nice little project with the addition of a $45 midrange and about $30 more in crossover components.

Of course, that Faital Pro gives you full range straight out of the box without needing a crossover or mid, it costs less than the midrange and crossover parts would, and it will not require nearly as much amplifier power - which begs the question of why anyone would do such a thing.

I did it. It was fun, and it was a learning experience. But I also have very specific tastes and perceived needs. ;)