1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Homemade effects pedal problem. there is a connection between the enclosure and the

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rx jr., Feb 18, 2013.

1. rx jr.

rx jr.

circuit

I take my tester and put one end on a metal part on the input/output jacks and the other end on my enclosure and it beeps, indicating that there is a connection.

is this supposed to happen? i tried powering it up but it didn't work. so i removed the circuit from the enclosure and tried it without the enclosure. it works.

what am i supposed to do in this situation? thanks!
  2. Skrogh

Skrogh

Figure out where it shorts, then isolate that spot?
    If you put up some pictures I can have a look at it
  3. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

Sounds like you are earthing your bass signal, maybe a short circuit from the pedal to the case.
  4. rx jr.

rx jr.

it's the mono output jack that is touching the enclosure, but why is this happening? the input jack and power jack are not doing this.
  5. TundraMan

TundraMan

Are your wires on the output jack reversed?
  6. rx jr.

rx jr.

picture. the culprit is on the right

***!

[​IMG]
  7. rx jr.

rx jr.

what do you mean?
  8. rx jr.

rx jr.

figured it out. soldered the wires to the wrong terminal

lesson learned: not all jacks are made the same.
  9. Skrogh

Skrogh

something seemes off about the power jack too, unless you are using center positive plugs?
  10. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

I see one wire hooked up there and it is hooked to the sleeve of the jack on the right. If that is a ground wire, then that is fine. If that is carrying signal, then you will have no sound from your pedal.

It is REALLY hard for me to see what is going on with that pic. I don't know how hard it would be to spread everything out for a pic with no thumbs, but it would help me see what's going on a great deal. I can see the jacks OK, but I can't see how they interact with the board and the pots, which will make a difference.