1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Homemade preamp issue - won't turn off all the way

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cougmeister, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

recently I converted my MIM Fender Deluxe Jazz V to passive with a VVT control with a push/pull series/parallel switch in the neck pickup volume pot. Everything seems to be working correctly, other than the fact that i still get sound out of it even with all of the knobs turned off. What could the issue be?

Both of the volume pots are 500K and the tone is a 250K

Here's the diagram I followed. Ill put up a picture of the actual wiring shortly.

Attached Files:

2. line6man

line6man

Your pots are not grounded properly.
  3. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

How do I properly ground them? They are all grounded to the bottom of the pot as pictured.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Did you bend up the one leg of the volume pots and solder them as shown?
  5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Where is the homemade preamp? It's a passive bass. There is no preamp.

But as the others have said, your volume pots are not grounded.
  6. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

I did as best as I could. The solder wasn't wanting to bond with the bottom of the pots. It was kind of a botch job, so I'm thinking about rewiring it to make sure I have solid connections.
  7. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    Some pots are plated, so you have to scratch the metal up a bit.

If you can't get the solder to stick, just run a wire from the tab that's supposed to go to ground, and ground it to the output jack along with the other grounds. Then solder your pickup grounds to that tab on the pot.
  8. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

Ok, got it fixed, but I still have some hum going on, but it quits when I touch anything metal on the bass. Could this be a poor bridge ground connection?
    It's all unsheilded by the way.
  9. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    If it stops when you touch the strings, then the string ground at the bridge is fine.

It could be the lack of shielding, and/or a bad ground connection where the amp is plugged into the wall.
  10. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

Ok. The power strip I'm plugged into says that the wall plug isn't grounded.
  11. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    That's probably it.
  12. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

Good. Thanks for the help!