Honda accord sedan + upright?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Stilettoprefer, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Being the poor planner that I am, I bought a used car to get myself to work and school and whatnot. Well I overlooked the small detail of possibly having to haul my upright to school every day. Well that possibility became a positive.

This may sound like a lost cause, but I'm pretty sure that I've come up with a good way to haul my cheap-o upright in my accord without the bass sustaining any damage.

I'll post pictures when I get to work on it tomorrow/ this weekend, but here is my plan of attack:

1: remove the back of the rear seat that exposes most of the trunk to the inside of the car. DONE!

2: build shims to go on either side of the bass so that it won't slide sideways or forward/backward.

3: since it will only fit in the car face down (confirmed this with 20 minutes of very careful trial and error with my dad this afternoon) build two shims that will be placed on the floor of the trunk that have a gap between them big enough for the bridge and fingerboard to fit between. These shims have to be tall enough to keep the bridge and fingerboard from resting on the floor of the trunk with the weight of the bass on them.

4: cover everything in leftover carpet from the recent floor job that was done in the living room (we have TONS). This will avoid scratches from sliding the bass in and out of the car every day.

5: make some dividers for what is left of the back seat to allow my electric bass and my amp to fit and keep them from getting tossed around.

6: make this all easily removable. The portion of the seat that was removed is only held on by 2 bolts, so it'll easily go back on with 5 minutes of work.

7: marvel at the work I have done and contemplate what I will do to update the sound system from the stock '97 system.

Any obvious holes in my plan? Any tips or stories of doing something similar? I'll be using this as sort of a build thread, so feel free to chime in with words of wisdom as I go along:)
  2. jmacdbass

jmacdbass jmacdbass.com, openmusiccollective.org

Can't you just put it in the front seat like every other sedan driving bassist?

put the seat down, go in either ass or neck first, one way should fit in an accord, I fit 2 7/8th basses in a ford focus, one being in the front seat in this way and have put it in golfs and things much smaller then accords, which is actual a pretty big car all things considered

I even fit basses inside extended cab mazda and dodge pickups...
  3. RSBBass

RSBBass

To get it in the front passenger seat, you may have to move the drivers seat around. After a bit of practice, mine goes into a Subaru Imprezza no problem. Pretty sure an Accord is bigger.
  4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

5. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I did that this afternoon! Still have to keep the back seat out, though.... Oh well, didn't need it anyways.

Thanks for offering the different perspective on fitting it in my car guys! Still a PIA to get it in and out, though:p