Hondo ll Rick upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by magnu, Mar 29, 2014.

1. magnu

magnu

Hi could you give me some advice on whether it would be worth my time and effort to upgrade my 1970s Hondo ll Rick 4001 with new pickups and wiring harness including pots
    The bass is in good general condition the neck is straight but the pots are very tempermental and the pickups both work but look and sound cheap

If it is worth doing what pickups would you recommend and where would I get the parts In the UK
    Thanks

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

If you like the look and feel of the bass I would say yes. Just think of the price a real Rick goes for. Pots usually can be helped with some cleaner. If not, they are cheap and and fairly easy to change out. if the pups are microphonic you can always wax pot them. Otherwise there have been a few threads suggesting pups for Rick copies recently. I don't know if you could get real ones in there as the routes are frequently different.

3. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

I'm in a similar position. If you feel
    Pots are a must then that would be your first port of call. Just use 250k Vol's and 500k tones.

Pickups wise although Ric might seem like the obvious choice there is loads of options to cater to your taste a bit more. Best option is Classic Amplification pickups. Hand made and made to your spec if you want something different.