1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Honest Opinion of Tom Araya's bass lines....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Sep 5, 2003.

1. FiveStringsNme

FiveStringsNme

C'mon guys, even though they are a kick-arse band, what do you think of his bass lines?

2. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Comeone dude, seriously:
    Guitar:
    5 754 7
    5 754 7
    4 5 65
    5 5 5 3 3 3 3
    3333 7 7

Bass
    -------------------------
    ---------------
    --------------------
    ---3333----7--7----

3. FiveStringsNme

FiveStringsNme

Even though the basslines are extremely simple...I think they work with the music, you can't expect slap pop or half the tricks Ryan Martinie does....

Tom Araya can do better, but he does a good job, I think cuz the songs are guitar oriented anyways...:bassist: :bassist:

4. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Oh yeah man, he probably shreds probably as a solo artist... But I mean, I can't see some crazy basslines in a guitar (like you said) oriented band...
    =P

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FiveStringsNme

FiveStringsNme

Tom as a Solo artist? I dunno, maybe he'd be awesome, or then again so used to ONLY pumping notes here and there that he doesn't care for anything else.

who knows, I mean he's in a successful band and made a lifetime career outta it...

7. Microbass

Microbass Guest

so has hoppus and fieldy...now what?

8. FiveStringsNme

FiveStringsNme

yea but Blink isn't an awesome band and KoRn is so-so...

9. ole Jason

ole Jason

I've always got the feeling he focuses more on vocals than bass playing.

10. FiveStringsNme

FiveStringsNme

I agree with you man, either way it is awesome music, and you gotta keep in mind it is guitar oriented!:bassist: :bassist:

11. Osama_Spears

Osama_Spears

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Tom Araya plays bass/sings for Slayer.

His basslines... he does what every metal bassist is suppose to do... hide behind the guitar. ;) When he occasional peaks out, he does some OK stuff. You gotta take into account his style of singing probably requires simplified playing. For as long as he's been playing, he's probably got some impressive chops, but doesn't show them off. On the albums, with decent production, he can be heard, but their early stuff, and their late stuff has pretty band production... I actually think Divine Intervention has the worst production value out of all Slayer albums. I cranked it up on a road trip one time and had a headache... normally metal doesn't do this to me. Too high endy. But back to his basslines, yeah, simple, but they fit.

13. TheInsane

TheInsane

The basslines are simple and powerfull. They work great with the kind of music Slayer plays. I don't have to many of the cd's but I have 3 live recordings with them (one official and two that aired on radio here in Sweden). Tom's bass is heard well and I love the tone he has. It's perfect for Slayers music.

14. Osama_Spears

Osama_Spears

Not a big Slayer fan.

Sorry.

15. Sanctum

Sanctum

Yea, you know, as much as I love Slayer, Tom isn't exactly on my list of influences .....

I read an interview once with him and he was talking about his playing style, when he switched from finger playing to using a pick. He basically stated that he used to try to match the guitar riffs while playing, but it was too difficult while singing, so he switched to a simpler style and using a pick (I don't quite get that correlation, but whatever.)

I have some old Slayer concerts on video and he definitely used to play more complex parts than he does now.

Slayer is a band that I focus on as a whole and not the individual parts.

They are coming here next month, on tour with Arch Enemy!!!! Should be a great show.

16. FiveStringsNme

FiveStringsNme

w\ Arch Enemy...DAMN!!!!! mind putting up a link?

17. Sanctum

Sanctum

18. DeepDeath

DeepDeath

Tom Araya is not a good bass player, he's proficent for Slayer but I know from relatives and his friends that he is not "badass" on bass. Lemmy even kicks Tom's ass.

Speaking of Arch Enemy....there new single is WAYYYYYYY not worth my time...there losing from the sounds of it.

19. FiveStringsNme

FiveStringsNme

how do you know from his friends and relatives, just wondering...

20. DeepDeath

DeepDeath

I know metalheads from Dark Realm Records which is a very known LA Local Store, the owners went to school with Tom's younger brother. We've all talk and know each other.

21. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

He's more of a singer than a bassiist... Excuse me, bass player :D .

:rolleyes: