Honesty on Talk Bass!

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help Desk' started by foderaman, Oct 31, 2012.

1. foderaman

foderaman Supporting Member

Over the years I have done about 4 or 5 Dozens transactions here on TB as a seller a Buyer and Trader.They have all be good experiences but one that I caught on to the scammer that was wanting to do a trade.It was a big dealhere about a year ago and one guy got ripped off but was made whole in the end I think yoiu might remember it because it kept racking up posts.But what I am writing about now are two deals I had on here one with the purchase of a Hofner Icon Club bass from a Tber Datsgor and the other was a Sonic Research St-122 tuner from kesslari .They where both payed by me through Pay Pal to make a safe transaction for seller and buyer.When it was time to ship the Hofner Club the seller got ready to pack it up for shipment and noticed the action was quite bad since he had not used it in about a year or so.When the seller found this out he quickly contacted me and said he could not sell a bass with a problem like that and he quickly refunded my Money.The other purchase was the Sonic Research tuner which the seller sent by USPS Priority Mail and for some reason the label or something else went wrong with the address Label so the package was sent to the Dead Mail department of the USPS.We waited for about a week and a half and today he refunded my money back to Pay Pal.I decide to write this just to let people out there that there are many Honest people out there on TB and use the resources and feedback rating of the people you deal with on here and you can pick up great deals on here and meet many Good Honest people. Mick
  2. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself Supporting Member

Good stories. I, too, have done about 70 or so transactions on TB and have never had a sour transaction (including at least a twenty international transactions). I've had some buyers actually pay me a few dollars more than my asking price just to cover fees (they did this on their own not because I asked). As a seller, I've refunded money to buyers when the shipping turns out to be less than I thought. As a whole, my experiences with TBers have been nothing but positive and TB contuinues to be the best place for me to buy, sell or trade my gear.
  3. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I did only a few transactions on TB but all of them were great.

Paid for the items and the sellers sent me exactly what they advertised.

I'm very happy buying parts from TB members, specially when they take the trouble of shipping internationally (not really a big deal, but some people think it'll be too complicated and back off from international buyers and that's a shame...)
  4. ialma

ialma

I did 15 transactions here and all of them went amazingly well.
    A lot of people had no issues shipping internationally, some of them simply trusted me and it was their first time with international shipping.
    A seller thanked me for showing him how easy international shipping was.
    Another seller offered to refund me for a bass I had bought and could ship only two or three days after the day he promised he would have shipped.
    Other sellers pointed out all the minute imperfections of the instruments they were selling.
    I never found a community so big and so honest like TB and hope to be part of it for a long time.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. frootbooty

frootbooty Supporting Member

The action can be fixed in 10 minutes. Who doesn't set up their basses when they get them? If everyone refused to sell their instruments because of poor action, then GC and MF would never sell anything.
    I get your point about honesty and I suppose a heads up before shipping was probably in order, but I think anyone who buys a bass should expect to have to do some setup on it unless they absolutely have no preference as to how their bass plays.
  7. frootbooty

It's odd that a seller would post a bass without first taking it out and noticing it had a twisted, warped neck.
    Maybe he got seller's remorse when he went to ship it and made up an excuse to keep it. That seems more believable to me, but then again, I am a glass half empty kind of guy.
  8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

You realize the guy you just quoted was the seller, right? lol.
  9. frootbooty

I didn't go back and read the whole thread. It was too wordy. Point being, before I list something for sale I give it a once over to make sure it is working, to note any dings or scratches, to photograph it, etc. At that point I tend to notice things like, for example, a totally ruined neck. This also gives me time to remedy a terrible setup if the particular bass has been sitting for a long time.
  10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I'm the same way :) I just thought you quoting the guy in question seemingly without realizing it was funny :p
  11. foderaman

foderaman Supporting Member

It must be Hell to be perfect!
  12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I've done quite a few transactions on TB. All of them have been pleasant. I can see noticing before shipping something significant that would stop me from selling. Usually the reason, the piece is for sale is because I haven't used it in a long time. As I start packing it up, I will give it a closer look.

Talkbass is one of the best places to buy and sell because most people know what they are selling and what they are buying. On Ebay, most of the problems result from misunderstandings of what is being purchased.

There are many good people on here and most care about what they sell to their friends. It is a community
  13. frootbooty

You have no idea.
    Of course it is easier to give your bass a once-over before you list it than it is to later have to explain discrepancies, pay for return shipping, receive negative feedback, etc.