1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Honey blonde P w / black pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guinness20, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Guinness20

Guinness20

Hiya, just a quick one.

The other day I briefly picked up and played a Fender Classic Series 50s P bass, and it was amazing! Sounded great, but the feel of the neck and the playability really caught me off guard!

The only trouble with the thing is that I really don't like the way it looks - the anodised gold pick guard just doesn't do it for me.

Not bothering with the lacquer version, so I have a couple of colours to choose from. Just wondering, has anyone ever seen a honey blonde p bass with a black pickguard? I can get a direct replacement pickguard from WD music.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I now I'm a bit of a nob for caring so much about looks when ultimately it's about sound:rollno:

2. melikecookies

melikecookies Supporting Member

Bump, very curious about ths as well... Anodized looks sexy to me, but tends to mess with my nails. Was tossing around the idea of swapping.

3. Lank Thompson

Lank Thompson

Honey-Blond with black pickguard would look fantastic (as would tort).

4. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

Yep, that color body looks nice with a variety of pickguards. The vintage "mint" color Fender guard looks particularly nice, but you really can't go wrong, particularly if YOU like it!

Dan

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Personally, I like the gold anodized on my Honey Blonde '50s Classic. I've seen them with black, but don't think it looks as good as the gold or the tort. Here's pics of mine with the gold and the tort. I also agree that a mint green might look good as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I hate to be a talkbass cliche, but, OH THAT TORT!

That is fantastic.

8. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

I personally feel that very few basses look bad with a black pickguard, and very few look particularly good with a white pickguard. It's all personal preference though.

9. Guinness20

Guinness20

That tortoise shell looks incredible! Don't know why I hadn't considered it!

Where did you get the replacement tort pick guard from?

Cheers

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Actually, the tort was on it when I stole, er, I mean BOUGHT it used from GC several years ago. I wasn't positive (and I don't think they knew) it was a '50s Classic because she was wearing the tort. I jotted the S/N and went out into the parking lot and called Fender. They verified that it is a '50s Classic. Went back inside and bought it for $315.00.

I was talking to a tech friend and told him what I got. Asked if he happened to have a gold anodized laying around. He had one on one of his basses and was thinking of switching to tort, so we swapped them out. So bottom line, I'm not sure what brand the tort was. But every time I look at that old pic, I start thinking of getting another one for it. I DO like the gold on it, but the tort did look surprisingly hot. I say "surprisingly" only because I usually only like tort on a rosewood boarded neck.