"Honky Tonk Woman" - aka. my nemisis

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by foxxiroxx, Jan 24, 2013.

1. foxxiroxx

foxxiroxx

Help!

It's not that I can't find tab - I really need to learn this quickly.... and am ashamed to admit that I need some dumbed down tab.

This song has always given me trouble! And I don't know why... I found a (hard to follow) video lesson on youtube where the instructor cheerily announces that this lesson is for beginners, bwah! Argh......

So please anyone, if you have a dumbed down/minimal version of this or can point me to one....:help:

2. jaywa

jaywa

Don't get too bent out of shape about it. As recorded the bass line is pretty sloppy and there are a fair number of... umm... "unconventional" note choices so it's not like a clam here or there is gonna kill the thing.

3. obimark

obimark

Lay out for the first verse altogether (or play root whole notes as I sometimes do)
    Then come in at the chorus, basically G to D

Verse G C etc...

4. jakyllo@charter

jakyllo@charter

On a live Honky Tonk track from "Get Yer Ya Yas Out" Bill plays during the verse. Has anyone tabbed that? Inquiring fingers want to try to play it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

There are songs that you really want to know what the original bass player played.

Then -- there's this one -- IMO!

7. jaywa

jaywa

Dill Bill play bass on the recorded (studio) version or was this one Ron Wood did?

Wouldn't surprise me if Woody did it.

8. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

And, while I'm being a weenie, the song is called "Honky Tonk Women."

:bag:

9. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    It's a country song folks. What's the big deal? I learned on the fly the first time I played it.

10. dtripoli

dtripoli

No, Wyman played bass. Ron Wood wasn't even in the Stones when Honky Tonk Woman was recorded, Jan. 1969.
    Mick Taylor was the 2nd guitarist.

11. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

12. foxxiroxx

foxxiroxx

Lotsa great input..... uhhhh..... man this song downright irritates me now.

WHy couldn't my band choose this Stones tune?

13. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Because that one stinks? :bag:

Honkeytonk Woman is one of those songs you can improvise after hearing it a few times.

14. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

More about rhythm, and not playing too much to get in the way...

15. obimark

obimark

"Live With Me" is a great stones bassline as is Monkey Man. Honky Tonk is just kind of lame from the bass standpoint. My band has it on our setlist but we have yet to play it anywhere, so not even sure how it would go over.

The main chords are G C D and A (In fact those are the only ones), if anyone has a link to Bill playing during the verses Live I'd be curious to see what he plays.

16. warnergt

warnergt

We played this song in a 3-piece band and you must dumb it
    down for it to sound right. The Stones basslines do crazy stuff
    (case and point: Jumping Jack Flash). Most bands can't get
    away with these actual basslines.

Basically stick to the roots with a little walk between chords.
    There are no tabs to show you this. Try to feel your way
    through it. It feels counterintuitive but, ironically, you will
    find that an amazingly simple bassline generally serves this
    song better than the actual bassline.

17. oldrocker

oldrocker

IME - Honky Tonk goes over very well. If played right always gets a good reaction and action on the dance floor. Much more than other Stones staples like Brown Sugar or Sympathy for the Deveil

18. oldrocker

oldrocker

Bill does lay out for for the 1st 2 verses on the studio version but I usually play the verses. Especially if playing without a rhythm guitar or keyboard. I usually play as obilark suggests - supporting the verses with basic roots and 5ths and rhythm and a little more active during the choruses and guitar solo.

19. obimark

obimark

Cool, I now remember why we don't play it out, because our one guitarist would have to bring a whole separate guitar setup in the open G tuning for it... real pain for him..

20. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

The harder part is getting a drummer to sit waaaaaay back in that fat pocket. Of the drummer can swing it, the bass follows, IME.

21. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

this is one of those songs that I am sure I have never played the same twice ... very important to listen what everybody else is doing and then either lock to ACCENT the drum beat, and/or fill when needed with slides, etc .. I watch the dance floor, and try to give those struggling something they can feel to move to ... roots/octave type stuff and the right beat should get you through fine and then fill it out as needed after you have been around a few times with it ... I always felt a structured bass part here is potential for a train wreck, because it is so dependent upon what every one else is doing ... and this one can get wild ...