1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hooking 2 output Head to 1 input Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rpcleary, Nov 24, 2012.

1. rpcleary

rpcleary

Ran a quick search, but couldn't find an answer.

So, general story is that I have a 2 X 12" cab, but it only has one 1/4" input with the two dual coil 4 ohm speakers (coils are wired in series, making speakers act like 8 ohms each) wired in parallel making the cabinet total 4 Ohms

The head I am looking to buy is a Line 6 that has 2 output channels with 1/4" jacks and is listed as outputting at 4 ohms.

Now, my question is:

1. If I were to purchase a y - cable, could I hook both head outputs to the single cab input?

2. The cab input is a stereo jack hooked up as a mono, if I were to rewire the jack as a stereo, are there y -cables that would take advantage of that?

3. Could I potentially run hrough just one channel and get a full 150 W, despite the head listing as 2 x 75 W, since power would only be traveling to one cabinet through one output?

Thanks!

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

DO NOT RUN BOTH outputs into a single load. It is bootstrap and the two outputs will not bridge. Add a second jack to the cab, each jack only feeding one speaker. I would not recommend sharing the common of a stereo jack on the cab.

3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Huge +1 for another mono jack instead of wiring the existing one stereo.

There's plenty of well founded dislike for stereo cabs (mainly Marshalls), because if the panel is (re-)wired incorrectly, there's absolutely no knowing what the impedance is at a given time.

A lot of hassle for an increased likelihood of impedance mismatch.

IMHO anyway.

Regards
    Sam

4. rpcleary

rpcleary

Thanks a lot guys! I've done a lot of mucking around with electronics before, built cabinets and wired up guitars and more complicated stuff as well. But all that experience has also taught me to know my limitations and when to get second opinions on things. And this is definitely over my head, since i'm new to head and cabinets, since i've always used combo's in the past. So thanks a lot for saving me some serious grief!

5. Register to disable this ad