1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hooking up Computer to TV ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 27, 2014.

1. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I'm trying to help a friend of a friend hook an older computer up to a TV so they can display a powerpoint of upcoming events/specials in a bar. I figured the easiest way would just be to use a VGA cable and an audio cable from the computer to the TV since the computer is older and doesn't have an HDMI port. I dropped off the VGA cable yesterday but the person wasn't around so I left it with the bartender. Today, I get an email that when she hooks up the TV to her newer laptop, the picture displays fine but when she hooks it up to the older computer, it says "no signal detected". What can I check for to ensure the computer displays correctly on the TV?
  2. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Most likely on the old computer it either needs to be set to output a resolution the TV can handle, like 1920x1080 or it simply needs to be turned on in the monitor settings.
  3. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I'm not sure what resolution the computer is capable of since it's older. Should I take a spare monitor down to the place and change the resolution somehow and then hook it back up to the TV?
  4. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Not every PC is compatible with every TV. Hdmi certainly helped this but it's still a craps shoot.
  5. AaronBass4

AaronBass4

You might also try updating the video driver on the older PC. Seems like I had a similar issue but was able to get a very old computer (from before 1080p days) to output 1080p after a driver update.
  6. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Somehow I just got a feeling of "1985 called and wanted its bit mapped fonts back".
  7. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Check to make sure it is outputting to the TV.

lowsound
  8. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I'm not sure what you mean to check that it's outputting to the TV? Should I hook a monitor up to it and change the settings and then hook back up to the TV?
  9. AaronBass4

AaronBass4

Use the computer's monitor management dialog to see if the TV is detected and active. The TV may be detected and activated, however, if the resolution that the computer is sending to the TV is not recognized by the TV, the TV may declare 'no signal'. I'm pretty sure any TV will work with any computer with a VGA port as long as the computer is capable of outputting a resolution that the TV likes.
  10. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

Thanks...are there any resolution settings that are better than others? The TV is a newer flat screen, but I'm not sure of the resolution at the moment. Not to sound stupid, but I imagine I can set this up with a regular monitor hooked to the computer, and then hook up the TV in place of the monitor?
  11. AaronBass4

AaronBass4

Not sure if you can just use any old monitor to set it initially then transfer the connection. On the computer I'm at right now, the 'Screen Resolution' dialog is only showing the resolutions that are supported by the monitor, not all the resolutions the computer can support. 1080P is 1920 x 1080 (I think). Look for something x 1080 or 768 or 720 and look for the ratio of X to Y to be 16 x 9. It may well be that the computer or video driver does not support a resolution that TV likes and therefor is not automatically setting. As mentioned before, you may just need to update the video driver and it may just work.
  12. AaronBass4

AaronBass4

720p is 1280 x 720. Pretty much any HD TV should be able to handle 1280 x 720.
  13. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If it shows "No signal detected", It sounds like a recent model- get the make/model number and look for it online, so you can see what kind of input jacks it has. If it's new enough, it might have a USB jack and the easy way to show Powerpoint on that is by saving it to a thumb drive.