1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Horizontal Approach to Scales

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by Bassman8416, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Hey Todd,
    I was wondering which books/DVD's cover your horizontal approach to scales. I play a 5-string bass tuned E-A-D-G-C.
    Thank you for your time.

Edit: I imagine all your books and DVD's are worthwhile, but if you were to recommend one of your
    teachings, what would it be, I am 49 yrs old and i have been studying theory and jazz for the last couple years, I studied a year at City College(New York). I recently took a lesson with a very good player that felt I am boxed in by my across the strings vertical approach and that if I played in a more horizontal method, my playing would open up and be more creative, so he suggested I practice scales, heads, and melodies this way. I searched on Talkbass and found a thread with you discussing something similar. Any thoughts? I appreciate any input that you have, I have tremendous respect for your knowledge and of course your playing.

2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Hi Bassman,

None of my current DVD/books deals with a "horizontal" approach to scales.....My "Scale Modules" Walking bass DVD shows how to use "3 note chunks" of scales in your walking bass lines.

Also, my "Fishin' for Grips" DVD deals with "harmonizing" major, minor and dominant in a horizontal fashion, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

I do have a "system/method" for studying and incorporating scales and arpeggios, but it's not out on DVD yet.

If you're interested, I could teach it to you via online video chat lessons (or in person!!). If so, let me know and I'll get you hooked up.

Thanks!!

3. Bassman8416

He also used the words, "linear approach" as well.

4. Bassman8416

Thanks Todd, I appreciate your input. Perhaps an online lesson. I am all the way out on Long Island in New York.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thatotherguy

thatotherguy

Sorry to hijack, but does this implying that it is coming out on DVD in the future?

7. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Could be.....????

Actually, I'll probably have it out as a DVD/downloadable lesson...or series of lessons at some point!! But it will be a while before I can get to it...probably a year or so. I have a several other projects to tackle first....unfortunately there's only so many hours in a day!

BUT.....I do have a bunch of exciting new videos coming out in December....stay tuned. I'll keep you all posted!!

8. Pettson

Pettson

Any news on the DVD? I don't really know any scale good, and I really love your videos! I hope you are working on it! =)

9. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Hi Pettson

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry, no news on the DVD....actually, there won't be any more DVD's from me....everything will be downloadable or streamable from now on. Just makes sense business wise. I'm sure you understand.

BUT.....I'm finally settled after moving my family from Los Angeles to Phoenix last summer. We bought a "short sale" and it took almost 7 months to close....BUT....we're in now!!:hyper:

I'm planning on getting to a bunch of projects.....

In the mean time the offer of teaching you via online video chat lessons would be faster if thats something you'd be interested in. If so, let me know....Cool??? Cool...:cool: