Horn quiet in PA main... What to replace?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Tunaman, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Noticed I was missing some high end in one of my Turbosound TXD-151 PA mains. Nice speakers, had em about 6 years

No crackling... and there is some volume coming from horn.

I do have a multimeter to test things. I could use some advice on how to make that happen. Luckily I have the manual & a place for replacement parts... now its just what ones to buy

Thanks
    Mike

2. Tunaman

Switched horns ... the horn works fine in the other speaker. Looks like its a crossover... anything else?

I ended up firing a message to

http://www.newenglandspeak.com/services

They are literally right around the corner.

The more I read the more I realize this is not a do it yourself project I believe.

I tested everything, cables, music source, mixer, poweramp... those are all good

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    These are passive cross and not biamped ? Then yeah, the internal x-over is the likely culprit.

4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Here's a thread on the DIYaudio site about that very crossover with a pic and a schematic:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/208755-resistor-series-cap-lpad.html

Since You say there's some sound coming from the high frequency unit, the protection bulb is most likely ok, but no harm in trying that first. Then it'd be the two HF caps that I'd check.

Passive crossovers are the most DIY friendly circuits there is, IMO anyway.

Regards
    Sam

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tunaman

Heres the message I wrote to the repair place...

I have a pair of Turbosound TXD-151 PA speakers. I noticed one was quiet from the horn. I ensured it wasn't the cables, power amp, mixer etc. I switched horns & that "bad" horn worked fine in the other speaker. I'm thinking its the crossover after all this testing.

Are you able to fix the crossovers or get the original parts? If not should we get matching crossovers then?

I live very close to you & was recommended from Bob at QSC

Heres their response

possible fix not orig inal parts tech is out with back injury for 2 weeks try high tech in lawrence

IM TOTAL BULLSHIZNAT

7. warnergt

warnergt

I had a similar problem a while back. There was a bad solder
    joint in the crossover circuit. Either it had been bad all along
    or the speaker was dropped and it broke. I resoldered it and
    it was fine.

8. Tunaman

Heres what the tech said!

Got the turbo sounds worked out.
    The faulty one had a bad connector at the tweeter- totally broken. I tested the crossovers and they work but the main 1.2J caps weren't testing evenly so I replaced them. Speakers sound good.

SO ends up I'm going to keep them. They are pretty bad ass. I'm trying to think if 1 quality sub will be a good match, I'd imagine if I did 2 18" subs they would be too much for these 300w RMS 600w program mains

Thinking of a Carvin sub... for an extra $60 bucks I could use the NEO 18" & shave 10 lbs. Moving from 75 lbs to 65 lbs is a big deal at this bulk, going up stairs by myself. Back injuries are FAR more expensive

Heres the Carvin TRx 2118:

System Type: 18-inch Sub, bass-reflex Frequency Response: 32 Hz – 1.5K Hz (-10DB)
    38 Hz – 1k Hz (-3 dB) Coverage Pattern: omni
    Crossover: none internal Crossover Frequency: recommended 80-160 Hz
    Power: Continuous / Program / Peak
    Full Range 800w /1600w /3200w Recommended
    Amplifier Power: 800 – 1600w
    Sensitivity (1w @ 1m): 98dB
    Maximum SPL: 127dB Cont./ 133dB Peak
    LF Driver: 18-inch, 4-inch VC, woofer
    Nominal Impedance
    full range: 8 ohms