Horn Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by graver555, Mar 25, 2014.

1. graver555

graver555

I think this belongs here as I am not wanting to use it for a bass.

I am looking for something different for a sub so I was thinking of building a horn. I know that you basically calculate the wavelength you want to tune to, divide by 4 and fold it up into a box. But the specific kind I was looking at had a chamber inside that the sub sit in thats sealed.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...EDhk&iact=rc&dur=456&page=6&start=108&ndsp=24

I specifically want this kind, as it is going in a car and I plan on making it very difficult to steal, but I dont want some pissed off thief putting a knife through the cone when he cant steal it.

How do you design the chamber size? is it just a box big enough to hold the speaker or is it more complex?

Its going behind the seat of an extended cab s10 so I wanted tall and shallow. I was thinking a single 10.

Would the "wicked one wo32" be a better design for this?

2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    This is the site and forum of former TB'er Bill Fitzmaurice.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/

He sells his own DIY plans. They're pretty affordable at around $15 for a quality design. The "Educational Links" section is full of good info too if you want to go about designing your own. Horns are pretty complicated things.

From his own line of stuff, the AutoTuba (loaded with an 8"), or the regular ProSound Tuba model built quite narrow and loaded with a 10" are probably what you're looking for.

Google is full of horn plans of varying quality. Getting something of quality that is small enough for a vehicle, yet big enough to load deep is the trick. One (of many) pitfalls of designing your own is getting the chamber & horn path right as those designs put a lot of pressure on the cone and if you get it wrong, the driver can basically shred itself apart. Basically a bad design might not just sound bad, it could destroy your speaker.

3. graver555

graver555

The auto tuba looks like a great fit but I think I will lose an inch or two of room of seat adjustment but I think I can live with that. I am not that big of a person.

The truck tuba looks good too, but it has an exposed driver which is one of the things I dont want.

4. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

The AutoTuba is insane. A cheap 8" driver, $25 in plywood and you have a sub that will make your vision go blurry.

lowsound

5. Register to disable this ad