1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Horrible band name...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mossiebass, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Mossiebass

Mossiebass

So I recently joined a new band. We're not too bad, but there's a problem: The name sucks! We're called "The Hideous New Kids". :spit: :rollno:
    I can't just come out and say it to them, I'm a new member. So what should I do? Everytime I think of the name I cringe :bawl:

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Just come out and tell them, but tactfully. Ask them if theyve ever considered a "more marketable" band name or something.

3. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

If there's one thing that bands love, it's when they hire new people that want to change things. Did you know the name of the band when you joined? Do they have any reputation with that name? How recent is recent? How long have they been a band?

If you knew the name before you joined, then you shouldn't say anything at all. You knew what you were getting into. If they already have a following, then changing names could potentially be a problem. If not, there's no reason why it couldn't be changed. I'd wait until your fresh scent has worn off before you make any kind of serious attack towards the name.

Just be prepared to have a list of less horrible suggestions ready when you say you want to change it.

4. deepBassie

deepBassie

Yep. When you don't get gigs because your band name sucks then it's time to change things up.

Maybe you can be diplomatic about it and suggest that they drop the last two words and just go with "The Hideous"...?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    The name is pretty bad but you should have asked about it before you joined. In all honesty, it sounds like the name of a New Kids On The Block tribute or parody act.

7. bluewine

bluewine Banned

If your new, best to put your efforts into other things.

Blue

8. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    Just tell them you've mentioned it to 3 people who all replied with negative facial expressions and thought it had something to do with the boy band "New Kids on the Block"

9. Mossiebass

Mossiebass

Funnily enough, that actually happened.
    This band is almost totally unknown, no following, just beginning to get gigs.
    I'm going to wait and see whether someone else (outside the band) mentions it, and then I'll have some ground to stand on.

10. portlandguy

portlandguy

11. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

12. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Wink Dinkerson

13. Kenzy

Kenzy

The band has essentially no following? If that's the case, there really shouldn't be an issue with just telling the others that you don't like the band name, but be prepared to justify your dislike of it. Either they'll change it or they'll tell you why they aren't going to. Not really a losing situation I can see here.

14. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

Heinous New Kids - now THAT's a band name!

15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

They should definitely change that name.

To "New Kid Heinies."

WAAYYYY more appeal....

16. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    How about "Hideous Caesar"?

17. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

Tell them you don't like it. Either they'll take it into consideration and you get to choose another name, or they keep it. In which case you have some options, stay with a bad name, or leave a not too bad band.

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Jack Mack and the Slackers

19. bassteban

bassteban

Drop * new* from the name: Hideous Kids, for me, rolls off the tongue far better. It's got to be easy to say, write and/or remember.

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

new kideous the hids

Or

Kideous Hids

21. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

+1 - that has got to be a simple compromise... And the "the hideous kids" is no that bad at all. There are plenty of worse band names out there!