1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Horrible, farty overdriven sound coming from my Orange Bass Terror

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by FBS1996, Feb 26, 2014.

1. FBS1996

FBS1996

https://soundcloud.com/shagdoll/cuntyorange-wav

My orange head is making a really horrible, farty overdriven sound when I play it past a certain volume, or pluck the strings hard. I've isolated the problem to the amp as I've changed basses, leads and I've tried it in a different cab at the rehearsal studios I play at. The only thing I've yet to change is the speaker cable, but it seems more likely that it's the amp

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem might be just from listening to how it sounds? I know it's not a lot to go by, but hopefully it should be enough to give someone an idea of what is up with my amp. The one guy I've asked about it reckons that the tubes might be knackered, but he said he was just guessing

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

2. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

First,change the speaker cable to rule that out. Sounds like a tube going bad or a battery dying if its an active bass.

3. FBS1996

FBS1996

Got one on order at the moment, going for the speakeron to jack cable, rather than using a speakeron converter. Using a passive bass here. Should I replace the tubes? It's a simple enough job so I wouldn't have to fork out a ridiculous amount to a tech. Thanks pal

4. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

Need more details.

How high are the gain and master settings?

What cabs (type and wattage rating) are you using for your comparisons?

What bass are you using, and if active, what are your onboard tone control settings?

How hard do you attack your bass?

Any pedals involved?

That said, production tubes don't last long these days, particularly in amps that have enough gain to do overdrive sounds.

If you search past threads or Google, you'll find lots of information about how to go through an amp, using simple techniques to isolate bad tubes.

Given that you've checked everything else, I would also want to try swapping out that speaker cable as well.

If all else fails, there's always this:

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

what are your settings on the amp when you get that sound?

7. FBS1996

FBS1996

Volume - 11 o clock. Gain - 9 o clock

At home - Warwick 4x10, 8 ohms, 400 watts
    At rehearsal - Peavey 4x10, 8 ohms, ? watts

Squier Precision, passive

Pretty hard. The notes don't fart/fizzle up when plucked soft enough

No pedals

Yeah I'll have a look through some threads, cheers

8. FBS1996

FBS1996

Volume - 11 oclock
    Gain - 9 oclock
    Bass - 9 oclock
    Treble & Mid - 12 oclock

9. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Also: hit a note and turn each of the pots and listen if you hear any crackling. If you hear crackling there is some dust in the pot and this can sound like a blown speaker! Some non-silicone contact cleaner from Radio Shack and a few twists of the knob will fix that - sometimes just flicking the knob back and forth repeatedly will work the dust out without cleaner, too. Also, wiggle the speaker output jack; if the nut has at all come loose it can make your amp sound broken.

10. FBS1996

FBS1996

No scratching from what I can hear. Also wiggling the speaker cable hasn't changed the sound at all.

Sorry if I've come across as cold at all, I do appreciate these suggestions, I'm just a bit frustrated.

Thanks guys

11. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows Supporting Member

theres a couple preamp tubes in there. that would be my next move. swap em out and see.

12. NWB

NWB

It might be worth a quick try to clean out the jacks on the effects loop. That seems to cure some amp problems and is super quick and easy to do.

13. FBS1996

FBS1996

Purchased a couple of electro harmonix 12AX7's. Hopefully they'll do the trick. I'll also give the inputs a clean. Thanks everyone

14. FBS1996

FBS1996

UPDATE:

New tubes have been added but the farty sound has yet to shift. Tried with a different speaker cable and the sound is still there (However, I haven't changed the speakon-jack converter thing, still waiting for my speakon to jack cable to arrive)

So the tubes have been ruled out as the problem. Any one else have any ideas? Thanks guys

15. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Hi,

I am having the same problem with my rig. I bought a new amp head thinking that my Acoustic B600H head had died. I bought an Ampeg PF500 and the moment that I plugged it in, I had the same problem with the sound. After a bunch of trouble shooting, I believe I have blown out some of the speakers of my 410. So I bought a new head without solving the problem. 2 out of the 4 speakers are not ripped or look cosmetically like they are blown but when I push on the speaker, they make a "rubbing" noise. I believe that I need new speakers in my cab. The other thought that I have is that it may be the wiring of the cab. At one point, I lost all sound from the rig. This is why I thought it was a head issue. So I think I'll take it to a repair place and for $25, have them do a check and let me know what is going on.

Let me know if this helps.

16. FBS1996

FBS1996

That sucks man, hope it all gets sorted after your visit to the repair shop. I'm pretty certain that the problem lies within the head though (or possibly the speakon-converter, but that seems less likely to me), as I've tried the head through 3 different cabs and it delivers the same horrible sound

17. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

I've worked on a couple of Terrors (the guitar version), and one had a problem with the wiring harness. They use little molex-style connectors like you'd see inside a PC, and a couple near the preamp tubes were loose or corroded. Cleaned and re-connected, problem solved.

18. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Any luck getting you rig working again?

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I hope the OP got his problem sorted. I get the feeling that his amp may just be too much for the cabinets he is using it with. I hope I'm wrong!

20. FBS1996

FBS1996

Sorry guys, forgot to update
    The orange is indeed fixed! One of the capacitors broke, it wasn't glued in and one of the legs snapped. But also is well now :) thanks everyone, I appreciate it