1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Horrible Lead Guitarists

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lavaxtris, Jan 21, 2013.

1. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

my band's lead guitar player is absolutely horrible at playing guitar solos. I try again and again to give him tips about playing, but he doesn't listen. Its getting to the point where I cant even listen to my own band anymore.

just listen to this garbage:
    https://soundcloud.com/joe-studer/taba-take2

he doesnt even try to sit down and write solos, and i know he can do it since knows a ton about theory. it sounds like he have no control over their picks. its so sloppy.

I'm a better soloist and I haven't been playing as long. its really frustrating. I don't know what to do... cant find a replacement and wouldn't really want to. we've been together for 4 years now. its like they he is stuck at an intermediate level of skill and doesnt know how to improve.

help?

EDIT: The final decision was to move on without our current lead guitarist. Former rhythm/vocal is now taking over the solos. He is much better at rhythm and timing. We will continue to work on our musicianship.
  2. BassNeo

BassNeo

If you've been together 4 years and haven't improved to a level you find acceptable, it's time to move on. If there's nothing to move on to, then either quit and practice on your own until you find something or just stay with them to keep playing with others for the sake of playing with others, but keep moving forward personally.
  3. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

This thread is a keeper :D
  4. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

would anybody here have any tips for them?
  5. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

You can't make them improve - they have to want to.

Same as you putting up with it - only you should know when it's time to move on, and if not, then it's time to settle and stop complaining.
  6. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox

That song made me want to punch myself in the face, then vomit. I'd worry more about the vocals then the guitars. The "leads" sounded like Nigel from Spinal Tap was playing them.
  7. deepBassie

deepBassie

Your options are severely limited using this approach. Your feedback isn't working and their ailities have stagnated. If they were motivated to get better they would have by now. It looks like you are stuck with the way things are until you decide to change tactics (move on).
  8. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

haha!
    take a listen to the solo in this song... for a guitarist that knows a lot about scales he sure doesn't know which one to play in.
  9. Liv3rman

Liv3rman

Both guitarists have some serious timing issues. They need to learn to count lol
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Ya some people get to a certain level and never get better ...
  11. worxforme

worxforme Supporting Member

You guys have been together for four years, I'd say it's fine if you got together when you guys were in 7th grade and now you're juniors. But if it's any four years after that, I'd have to leave the band.
  12. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

This. If they cant play in a pocket you can forget a bout a solo
  13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I played with a guy who was not a good lead played, but he was a good singer and a good rhythm player. So he would hire a good lead player.
  14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Some players never get good timing ...
  15. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Sounds like the whole band could use some work...it's most certainly not a tight sounding performance. However, that out-of-key solo is just unacceptable.
  16. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

To be brutally blunt, the soundcloud bit made me picture some mediocre high school garage band too...

It's just all so unrefined. As if the players don't quite know what they're doing.

Would stay in touch with the drummer though, maybe start something with him. He seemed decent enough.
  17. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

The simplest way to start out a guitar Solo is to remember it stems from the chord. Even if you just play a few notes back and forth in the scale, it works. Keep reminding them that it all starts from the chord. If everyone's in key then it should be pretty easy to belt out a simple melodic solo. IMO they are over-engineering the Solo's.
  18. dbd1963

dbd1963 Supporting Member

There don't seem to be any drums in the linked file, but I found them in the previous take.

Here's my advice for you guys. You've got a completed song here, but you aren't playing it very well. It's time to woodshed the whole thing until everyone is playing in time. No solos, if the singer is also playing an instrument, then no singing. When everyone is able to play the whole thing in time MORE THAN ONCE! then start adding the solos (and vocals if they were out). While making this transition, continue to focus on timing. Don't think about how it sounds until everyone is back to proper time again while also singing, soloing. NOW start worrying about what notes people are playing.
  19. geddeeee

geddeeee

NO... just no!!!!
  20. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Checked out some of the youtube vids..........

Do they ever watch them themselves ?

How could they NOT know there is an issue ?