Hot Hand Support Group

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NoxNoctus, Jan 20, 2014.

1. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

There's not a ton of posts out there on getting the most out of using the Hot Hand to manipulate various effects and altering your playing style to accompany it. I thought it might be good to pool some knowledge for the betterment of our fine community here.

I'm a little over a week in on my Hot Hand usage and the adage Easy To Use, Difficult To Master reigns supreme for this little thing, especially on less dubsteppy things that dont involve the Envelope Filter manipulation.

I'd love to hear how you're using your Hot Hand, what pedals you utilize, and hopefully some samples.

Share away!

2. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

Subscribed out of curiosity.

I picked up a Hot Hand 3 for Christmas along with a Boss SYB-5. Sounds pretty great, but the tracking isn't great on the Boss, so I've got a Manta on the way. I have yet to use the HH3 in a live situation, but I'm expecting there will be some stuff it'll be killer for in my (believe it or not!) urban gospel band. :)

5sg.

3. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

I started writing up a series of lessons for a student who was talking about buying a hot hand. He ended up quitting due to financial reasons, but maybe I should follow through with them for the TB community.

The biggest stumbling block is how many variables there are in bass, pedals, amp, cab. Gain staging basically. I'll see if I can put something together though.

4. NoxNoctus

Bunch of HotHand users on this board and no one wants to pitch in? Or is everyone busy messing around with their Mantas? :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    I suspect that most folks are using Hot Hand with one of our envelope filters.

This video of the HH3 captures some of the sounds when used with other stuff. Really like the EH Ravish Sitar:

7. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

In response to my query, Roger recommended I write the guys at contact@sourceaudio.net, but then he went the extra mile and posted the settings Jon Dusoe and Nathan Navarro were using at NAAM for dub wobbles in the main S.A.S.S. thread. I had already written that address and Jon also wrote me back with a similar list of tips; here it is for the Manta.

I found this VERY helpful with regard to the HH3. Roger also said that you want the HH3 receiver set to all green lights (non-processed sensor output) in order to achieve this, and then let the controls on the unit affect the HH3 (speed/depth). Anyway, to me this made it a lot easier to do the kinds of wobbles I've seen in demo videos, and now it's more a matter of dialing in my preferred filter sounds.

8. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Sub'd... just received my HH3.

9. NoxNoctus

Excellent! I've got a Manta arriving tomorrow, can't wait to dive into it!

Firing off an email now

10. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

Had my HH3 hooked up to a Boss SYB-5, but have only had one rehearsal with it so far. I just got my Manta mounted on my board last night, so we'll see how it goes at rehearsal tonight. I still need to do some dialing in... haven't quite got the action set with the Manta yet.

5sg.

11. voodoobassist

voodoobassist

I had the HH3 a while back. I wound up a bit frustrated with it for a couple of reasons. One,..I have large hands. When I tried to wear it on my thumb, it was too small. It would fit on my fingers, but just barely. The second downfall was, I had to do extreme hand movements to get it to trigger. As in, raising my hand all the way to my head . I'm sure this was mainly due to "old guy user error". I'd like to give it a try again, so please,..post away with tips and suggestions.

12. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member