Hot Hand

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MilkyMcMilkMilk, Nov 20, 2012.

1. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

do you have to have a source audio pedal to use the hot hand?
    or could I plug it into my WMD super fatman?
    I think that's the only pedal I have with input other than standard instrument input.
  2. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Hot Hand 3 - anything with an expression input pretty much
  3. TheRigere

TheRigere

so I could use that on my Line 6 Shortboard in lieu of where the expression pedal would normally plug in?
  4. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

Yes, but you need to use the separate power supply for it when it isn't plugged into any source audio gear. It requires a different voltage that standard pedal power supplies don't put out.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

does the shortboard let you pick between built-in and external pedals per patch? That would be very cool. My M5 seems to let me use both at once thru midi, but they are both active. Being able to disable the HH3 per patch would be nice.
  7. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    The HH3 was designed to supprt Line 6 pedals. They are NOT standard expression inputs, so be sure to read the manual.
  8. takfar

takfar

hmm. So, I gather it can't simply be used as a replacement for, say, a moog ep-2, which functions on a wide range of pedals, but rather only work with specific ones?
  9. newbold

newbold

I remember that my Line6 expression was a mono jack, not TRS, so certainly not.
  10. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Well, the Hot Hand 3 has dip switches that allow it to be setup for a TRS, TS, or reversed connections. It's really amazing.
  11. rsmith601

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    As G.J. noted, the DIP switches on the HH3 can be set to work with both TRS and mono jacks. Line 6 is no problem. HH3 will be at least as universal as a typical expression pedal, and with the DIP switches.....even more.
  12. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

here's what they say about the fatman and it's cv input

CV Input - This jack allows you to use a standard expression pedal (stereo plug) to control the filter position, or blend it with the envelope and LFO. It provides power to the expression pedal. This can also be used with 0-5 volt CV sources. For +-2.5 volt (moogerfooger and modular gear) CV, a special adapter is required to convert the voltage levels, available from WMD for $30.

Would a hot hand work on that? with our without their special $30 power adapter?
  13. takfar

takfar

ah, that's very good. what about the power source... what voltage is that, again?
  14. rsmith601

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    In this case you use the HH3 as a standard expression pedal. No $30 adapter should be needed. This is the default mode of operation for the HH3.
  15. rsmith601

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    The HH3 ships with a 5V charger. This charger can also be used to power the HH3 receiver for when it is being used with 3rd party pedals (when used with a SA pedal, it is powered via the sensor input plug). Note that the plug on the 5V charger is not the same as a standard plug on a pedal board supply.
  16. takfar

takfar

So, in other words, I can use the HH3 as a standard expression pedal replacement (ie. in place of a Moof EP-2) in a non-source audio pedalboard, but I'll have to use an extra "wall-wart" (the 5v charger), so to speak.

That seems fair enough, and something that I'd try, especially in conjunction with my Xerograph Deluxe. The HH3 suddenly became a good candidate for my next effects purchase (tho who knows when I'll have money to spend on effects again)
  17. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

the "wall-wart" is pretty small. But the good news is that the adapter powers the HH3 receiver and charges the ring. So it actually turns out kind of handy. With the original Hot Hand I had to carry the 'charger' in my gig bag, now it's intrigrated into my rig and is always there.

An interesting idea for the charging the Hot Hand ring would be a daisy chain type cord that could charge a Hot Hand from the sensor jack??
  18. rsmith601

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    That is an interesting idea!! We will discuss.
  19. Hou

Hou

All new to this!

Can you use the hot hand with every pedal? How about a Boss OC-2?
  20. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    You would have to mod the OC-2 to have an expression input.
  21. Hou

Hou

Thanks. So it will only work with pedals who have a expression input?