HOT Jazz pickup - please help identify

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by soaf, Jan 22, 2014.

1. soaf

soaf

I have a pickup which is at least 8yrs old because i bought it used about 7-8 yrs ago. It has large pole pieces and measures 14.25 ohms. It has one small hole in the middle and two small holes on one side. The copper winding is protected by a black fabric covering or tape of some sort. Does anyone recognize this one?

Attached Files:

2. azwipe

azwipe

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I'd second that. They are probably the hottest J pickups you can find without being custom made.
    But yeah, the poles are kind of unique to those. If they measure 1/4", that's probably what you have. (1/4" -> 1/4 Pounder, get it?)

80s Fender MIJ PJ basses had large poles as well, but I never knew what they registered at on the multimeter...
  4. soaf

soaf

I thought that may be them, but I've had this pickup a while now. Does anyone know when Seymour Duncan introduced the 1/4 pounders?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I know they have been around for a lot longer than 8 years.

The flat pole pieces though, that I couldn't see from the stock QP pics. If the pole pieces in a QP come through the covers, it may be something else.
  7. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

I just took the cover off a Duncan SJB-3 Quarter Pounder, and it looks almost identical to the pickup in your photos. The sticker on the bottom is different, but my pickup is only a couple of years old. The sticker may have changed over the years.

Mine is a bridge model, with a DCR of 14.0K. On Duncan's site, the bridge SJB-3 is listed at 14.61K. Evidently, the DCR on those pickups varies somewhat; yours at 14.25K is certainly in the ballpark.

I'd say it's likely a Duncan SJB-3. :)
  8. johnson79

johnson79

They've been out over 15 years. I had a set in my jazz back in the day. That definitely looks like one.
  9. soaf

soaf

Are the pickup poles in a SD 1/4 pounder raised? Mine are not. they are flush with the top of the pickup. If I were to put mine in a cover, my poles would appear to be recessed.