1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Hot pups, distortion issues.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andrklet, Mar 24, 2014.

1. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Could probably have asked this in basses or pups, but as distortion with pedals (and amp gain) is my issue I´ll try here. Sorry for the long write up.

I have a Fender Modern Player Jazz, with relatively hot passive humbuckers. Run into a MXR bass overdrive and an Ampeg PF350. When turning up gain I can get a quite heavy distortion from the amp. It seemed way to "on and of" in the beginning (no gradual increase), but it appears to have settled down, and in a band setting sounds good now. (Although a class D amp shouldn´t bed in??). Tried a passive Yamaha, with single coil pups, and couldn´t get any distortion at all. Even with gain at full. Noticeably quieter, so very different pups.

With the MXR bass overdrive and my Fender I get a lot of distortion even at the lowest drive setting. With the Yamaha I can go from virtually no overdrive, to lots of overdrive. Which is what I want. I love how the fender sound clean. But I cant seem to get the soft tiny bit of overdrive I want from it. Could there be something wrong? Or is there something I could do to remedy my issues? Rolling of volume on my bass, almost all the way, kind of helps, but not a good solution I think.

I´ve got a VT Bass pedal on its way, to hopefully get my soft mellow over driven sound, but now I´m skeptical something is up with my Fender. Any one had similar issues?

2. The only fixes I know about would be:

- Lower your pickup height
    - Mod the bass to fix a resistor in between the output and ground to permanently lower the maximum volume
    - Use your volume control, a volume pedal, EHX Signal Pad pedal or some other kind of inline attenuator to lower the volume
    - Get a different amp and different pedals that respond better to hot basses

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Jul 27, 2013
    NEPA
    Start with the pickup height.

Bass Side Treble Side
    8/64" (3,6 mm) 6/64" (2,4 mm)

And if you still don't get what you want, use the volume knob to reduce output.

5. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Oh, man. That was painfully easy and obvious. I even, myself, lowered the action, before I got the pedal and amp and had no distortion anyhow. Everything sounded grate, so I did not think of lowering pups. Had to go a bit further than Curran´s measurements. Closer to 5.5 mm´s. But now its all good. Very good!

Thanks a bunch :)

6. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Jul 27, 2013
    NEPA
    I have a squier tele bass that I had to lower that much. The pickup in that is very hot. Glad it was that easy!