1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

House fire and related smoke damage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by redwood, Dec 14, 2012.

1. redwood

redwood Supporting Member

Hey Folks,
    I need to ask anyone who has gone through a house fire before.
    A month ago, half of our house went up in flames. Thanks to the quick fire department, the fire damage was limited to one side of the house.
    My Lakeland, OLP, Alvarez acoustic, keyboard, etc., were all exposed to smoke, water/moisture and cold. Those are history..
    More importantly, my Behiringer VBass Pro, Crown power amp, compressor and power supply were also subjected to the smoke and possibly some moisture. And definately the cold.
    Anybody had experience with electronic equipment exposed to smoke from a house fire?
    Should I just toss it (it got claimed under insurance)? Or do you think I should give it a shot and see what happens?
    I hate to try it at a gig and have it fry out.
    Any thoughts or similar experiences would be very welcome.

And before anyone asks, all family members are fine. We lost our beloved cats, but they had a great home and a long run. RIP Jiggs and Dudley :)

Thanks people!
  2. Rebop

Rebop Supporting Member

I have a lot of gear that was in a fire (music store I worked at burned down).
    This includes a Mackie mixer as well as various preamps and amps. Even a few basses and guitars (which I've since sold).
    These were exposed to fire, smoke and ultimately tons of water from the fire hoses.
    I gave everything that wasn't completely toast enough time to dry out and then just cleaned it thoroughly. It's all been working just fine and this was over 10 years ago.
    The guitars only needed the crispy pieces of binding and finish smoothed out, pots replaced and were as good as new (aside from smoke stains).

Clean it all thoroughly and you should be good. My Mackie is going strong as well as the other stuff.
  3. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dude, not much to add since I've never been through this except sorry for your loss and I'm glad your family is well. Sorry about your cats, but this could have been much worse. You really are blessed.
  4. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen Supporting Member

This is very sad. I hope you're all doing well and I'm really really sorry about your cats. Prayers to you.
  5. oniman7

oniman7

When my girlfriend was in 7th grade, she had a house fire as well. Her upright bass survived the fire. The smoke changed the color and warped the wood, causing a change in tone that was actually favorable. She still plays it today. What wasn't favorable was the insurance company trying to do a nice thing and cleaning it with furniture polish. No experience with electronics though
  6. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

Check out vids on YouTube for fixing water damaged phones. Same principles apply. Air compressor helps to blow crap out. I'd claim it all and fix what you can. And condolences man. Other than extremes temperature isn't as bad as moisture. Good luck man.