Houses of the Holy - best Led Zep?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cronker, Feb 14, 2014.

1. cronker

cronker

It's my favourite, by a long margin.
    Somehow, Jimmy Page just gets how to nail funky and rock n roll on this one. Not the best performance by Plant.
    John Paul Jones' bass performance is sublime, as is his use of mellotron and keys.
    Is this the first time they split guitar tracks in stereo? I hear the 6 string in my right ear and the 12 in my left.
    Definitely a ground breaking album. Better than IV in my opinion.
    Discuss.

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

One of my faves of theirs. I put LZII and Physical Graffiti just ahead on my list. Agreed better than IV.
    Classic album fer sure!

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I think the first four are their best albums. But their worst album is better than most.

4. cronker

cronker

Is it just me, or can you hear that JPJ is a musician across a lot of areas? His bass is simply excellent, yet I can hear musicality from piano in there.

I know that Page was heavily involved in the sessions scene before Zep.

I think it's very interesting, considering today's music scene, that music back then came from people who actually loved their craft, against the manufacture of current music.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

+1

I would have a hard time picking their best album. Their music could be so different and depending on my mood, my favorite would be a moving target. And JPJ is the man, all the things he contributed to the texture of Zep is often overlooked.

7. oboylebass

oboylebass

There is no 'worst' Zeppelin record! I'm partial to Presence.

8. Abaddon9112

Abaddon9112

HOTH (haha Star Wars) has always been my favorite Zep album. When I was little my mom used to play that album a lot. Reminds me of taking trips down to the shore in the summer.

I think that album pretty much established the overall sound that Zep would continue to employ for the rest of their tenure. I love the use of the twelve-string electric throughout, it just sounds huge. Everyone seemed like they were at the top of their game on that album, and the songs are all classics that you can really rock out to. So I'd agree that its probably their best overall release.

9. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

My favorite album is Physical Graffiti, but Houses is in the top 3-6 ;).

Seriously, "The Song Remains the Same" and "The Rain Song" are two of the best songs that ever opened up the first side of any album.

10. Caustic Crunch

Caustic Crunch

I hope you guys have heard the isolated tracks that are available on the web.
    JPJ's "Ramble On" iso track, for example, is astounding to listen to on it's own.
    That man is an icon for a reason...

11. Southbound

Southbound

"Houses of the Holy" is my favorite SONG on Physical Graffiti...neither is my favorite LZ record (though, I confess I like HoTH better than PG, and can't really name one after PG...and have a hard time ranking I-V--except III is last)

12. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

PG isn't bad (there's no such thing as a bad Zep record), but II is my personal favorite.

I love the contrast between JPJ's organic, soulful, lyrical stylings on What Is & What Should Never Be and Ramble On, and the hard-driving doubling of the guitar track on Livin Lovin Maid and Moby Dick.

Then of course there's the Lemon Song, which is in a category all of its own. That was the track that made me realize you can't spell "badass" without "bass" :D.

13. GigJones

GigJones

I’ve always felt that “IV” and “Houses Of The Holy” were their best. There is something mystical about both of these albums.

14. leegreenman

leegreenman

Physical Graffiti is my favorite, but you can't go wrong with any of them. Coda is even pretty great.

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't have a favorite LZ album. As much as I love Physical Graffiti and II, I can see why Houses of the Holy might be your fave. The only album I have any problems with is In Through the Out Door, and even then, my problems are minimal.

16. almost human

almost human

The diversity of music on it, along with the fact that it has my favorite LZ song ("No Quarter"), makes it my pick for their best.
    But i agree that there's not really a bad one in the bunch, including Coda.

17. Chains

Chains

No one has mention Zep I.
    For its raw power and energy, a real kick in the face!
    IMO one the top 5 debut albums from any band.

18. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

West Grove Pa via the Northside of the 'Burg!
    Their music was so diverse>every album was so different than another that it is hard for me to pick one...my favorite would likely be the last one I listened to.. IMO

19. Batmensch

Batmensch

Nah. For me it's LZ II all the way.

20. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Physical Graffiti is my favorire- III was their most innovative, utilizing English folk instruments and melodies. IV is my second favorite- the songwriting is phenomenal.

21. JimK

JimK

I think I'm with you.
    "Kashmir" is so great that it pushs PG up near my top.
    Funny thing, though, III was my 1st LZ album. Got it for a birthday present back in the day...coulda had I or II; truthfully, never had heard of LZ...the name sounded cool & III had the cooler cover vs. I & II. :)
    I think I woulda been happier, though, with I or II.

Got IV the following year & wore it out.
    HoTH had a tough act to follow but it delivered.