1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How about a Owners Guide Resource Library?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by jazzyitalian, Feb 22, 2014.

1. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lawyer & Hobbist Bass Maker
    Hi guys.

There are times that I wish I could locate a user manual for a product that I purchased. Like today. I have a 1998 Ampeg amplifier and I cannot locate the Owner's Guide.

While for the most part these user or owner manuals can be found on a manufacturer's website, that isn't always the case. Manuals to older products or products from defunct companies may not be easily located.

My proposition is simply this: That TalkBass catalogue user manuals in downloadable PDF formate. The contributors would be the members who would be encouraged to scan their paper manuals and convert them in a pdf file.

The forum could be called TalkBass Library / or Product Resources. The admins to this section could categorize the product manuals by product type or manufacturer name.

Every time someone surfs the TB library page, they would see a post encouraging them to engage in the civic duty of contributing to the library. Each submission would be reviewed by the designated TB forum admin (or perhaps the better title is "librarian") for clarity or to make sure it isn't a a duplicate.

I would be honored to contribute a couple of nice old product manuals to get this going.

Thanks,

Jeff H.

2. P Town

P Town Guest

I think you would have to take care to avoid copyright infringement.

3. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lawyer & Hobbist Bass Maker
    You know the thought did cross my mind for a moment. You are tracking this...

However, user manuals are not typically sold by the manufactures so they aren't a revenue producer or made with the intent of garnering income. Copyright infringement claims typically arise in situations when the infringing party either claims to be the author of the writing or attempts to exploit it for money. In the music industry it would people that plagiarize songs or groups that boot leg them for resale. So our instance, TalkBass would be doing neither. They would be simply making the information available for people without requiring payment or claiming authorship. It's a rebroadcast.

Still, one could make the argument that the annual membership fee that TB asks of it's members constitutes that event of exploitation. It's a thin line to draw. But I suppose someone could say that since members are allowed to access user manuals and these member pay an annual membership fee that the fee is ostensibly attached to the distribution of user manual content.

But I would think that most if not all manufacturers would embrace the notion of having their information available for both owners and prospective consumers of their products. That's just free advertising for them.

I used to do a bit of entertainment law myself and the usual process in situations involving alleged infringement claims is that a request to remove content is made first before any infringement suit is filed. So if a manufacturer was intent on not allowing their information to be re-broadcasted to potential customers, they would just contact TalkBass and ask for it to be removed. Their content (free advertising mind you) would be removed and they would delisted.

But thanks for the thought! I still would like to have a library.

4. P Town

P Town Guest

Sounds like you know way more about it than I do. And if any manufacturer objected, and the information was promptly removed from the site, there would be very little reason for any action on their part.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator